21: An oath

Thomas and I keep running. I follow the helicopter above us and I stop in my tracks as it throws a bomb, causing a huge explosion.

"No!" I yell as the impact almost makes us lose our balance.

Thomas and I then look down, the whole camp is on fire. Guards then drop down, shooting everyone they see in sight.

"Brenda." Thomas and I say and I nod.

We start running, dodging all the bullets and Thomas tries to cover me with his jacket. We finally make it to the tent. But my eyes widen as I see it on fire.

"Brenda!" I yell as Thomas runs after me.

"Brenda!" Thomas yells as my eyes start watering.

I then feel someone pull me and I turn around, meeting Brenda's pretty face.

"You dumbass. C'mon!" Brenda says and I sigh in relief as we follow her.

"Thank god." I mutter as she pulls Thomas and I down next to her and Jorge.

"Are you trying to get yourself killed?" She breathes to me.

"We have to go. Now, while we still have the chance." Jorge says over the loud bullets and explosions.

"I gotta go find the others." I say, starting to stand up.

"No! Look! Look. You can't help them." Jorge says, pulling me back down.

"No, I-"

"I'm sorry. There's just nothing you can do for them. If we don't move now, we won't be much better off." Jorge says and I look down.

"You guys gotta go right now." I finally say.

"What?" Brenda says.

"They're not looking for you. You'll be safe, but you have to go now." I tell Brenda.

"Alana..." She trails off.

"I can't leave without them. If I don't do something, they're gonna die. I have to get them out. Go." I tell her a in a shaky voice.

"Good luck, little lady. You too, kid." Jorge says to Thomas and I.

"You, too." Thomas nods.

"Bren, we have to go. C'mon." Jorge says as Brenda just looks at me. "C'mon. Let's go, come on." He says, pulling her.

"Go." I say, rubbing her hand.

Jorge then pulls her away and I let the tears roll down my cheek.

"Hey, hey, don't cry." Thomas says as he looks me in the eyes. "Stop it. You can do this. We're all in this together, okay?" He pants to me and I nod as he wipes my with the pad of his thumb.

I then crouch down, thinking of a plan as my lips tremble. I then look down at the back under me. E gadget Jorge had given me back at the mountains.

I then look up at Thomas and he quickly glances down, then back up at me. He nods at me and I nod back, sniffling.

                                           ||

"Line them up right here! On their knees! Put some eyes up on that ridge." I hear a guard yell while I put a hand over my hoodie pocket, making sure the gadget is still there.

"B-four." The guard says as he scans Sonya's neck.

"How many did we get?" Janson asks the man and I clench my jaw.

"All of them. Give or take." The man responds.

"Give or take, what?" Janson questions.