ch. ─── four

[04] SCHEMING FOR DUMMIES

HAJIME WASNT KEEN on talking to Kaminari unless it was absolutely necessary. However, for the past two days she had noticed him lingering in the background trying to cut in and approach her, Hajime making sure the opportunity never arrived. But Hajime underestimated his persistence, having went to him after dinner to stop his annoying stalking.

"So... How are you?" He finally says to her.

"You're unbelievable," she muttered, slapping her hands on the couch before pushing herself off.

Hajime's sudden departure made Kaminari fumble for words, his hands swiping his notebook off the table as he jogged after her.

"Wait! I'm sorry," he breaks off into a sprint when she enters the elevator.

She poked the close button as Kaminari stumbled forward, her expression hardening when he fell inside just in time. Hajime has been waiting fifteen minutes for him to speak, staring at him as if they were conducting an integration. She should've left him a long time ago, expecting him to ask some useful questions about her offer. But of course, she her expectations were too high.

Kaminari picks himself up from his twisted position, Hajime ignoring his grunts. "That wasn't very nice," he pouted, a groan leaving her mouth to his comment.

Her eyes are narrowed when she grabs his shirt and pulls him forward. "If you're just going to fool around and not take this seriously, I'll do it myself," Hajime muttered, letting him go as he stumbled back.

"Well, it's kind of hard to speak when you're glaring at me constantly," he mumbles back.

She crosses her arms and glares at the numbers above the door. "Let me remind you that you're the one that offered," Hajime complains. "I don't care if me not liking you bothers your poor ego or whatever."

The elevator shudders to a stop and the doors slowly open, Hajime not wasting a second to squeeze through. She had to convince herself to not entertain his games anymore. Her energy could be put into studying or even winning over Todoroki.

A dragged out sigh left her lips as she heard a pair of footsteps from behind her, Hajime's walk coming to a halt as she arrived in front of her dorm room. With tired eyes, Hajime turned around slowly as Kaminari waited for her with furrowed brows.

"I'm not doing this because you bruised my ego," he retorted.

"I don't care," Hajime responds, rolling her eyes. "Why can't you just leave me alone."

Kaminari pursed his lips, rubbing his nape in thought. "Because we're classmates now. We should get along."

"And how do you expect us to get along if you can't even talk to me because I'm glaring at you," Hajime mentions. She chuckles when he doesn't come up with an answer. "How do you expect to be a hero when someone like me intimidates you?"

Her violet eyes scan his face, catching the line that forms between his brows. Hajime was used to people talking back to her so Kaminari's silence was uncalled for. She didn't understand why he tries so hard when it comes to her, she was the last person that deserved his kindness.

Hajime pushes open her door, her features downcast and unbothered. She ignored the discomfort that sat on her stomach to Kaminari's disheartened expression, casting the feeling away when she found herself caring.

However, as the silence was beginning to settle and Hajime was about to disappear behind her door, Kaminari stepped up. He hovered too closely and his eyes were filled with determination; Kaminari's sudden change of mood made Hajime give him a once-over, her brow arching in the process.

"I want to know if you had any ideas about the Todoroki thing!" He shouted.

"Will you be quiet! We're not the only ones here," she seethed, Hajime's hand flying over his mouth.

Hajime glares at him as she looks both ways, nobody coming out from their rooms. When the coast is clear, she removes her hand, Kaminari's face pigmented with colour.

He pulls off a lopsided smile. "You're right. Sorry."

Hajime pinches the bridge of her nose, brows knitted as she wards off a headache. "Well, since you're finally asking... Why don't you start with his number?" she explains.

"And how will I do that?"

"With your quirk, Idiot. Don't you charge people's phones?"

His eyes light up. "Yeah, I do! Great idea."

"Perfect—" Hajime starts to push Kaminari away from her doorway— "Now leave."

"Hold on." He grabs her arms, Hajime's eyelids drooping. "What if he has a passcode or something? What should I do then?"

Her smiles forcefully, Kaminari chuckling nervously. "I'll leave that part up to you," she told him.

Before Kaminari can comment further, Hajime shut the door in his face. She locks the door and exhales deeply from her nose, rubbing the back of her head in exhaustion. She didn't know why she let him help her, in fact, Hajime could easily do it herself. But there was something about Kaminari that she couldn't stay away from, his cluelessness entertaining.

Who knows? Maybe he'll end up getting his phone number after all.

Hajime practically laughed to the thought, "That would be a surprise."

[05]