ch. ─── twelve

[12] FORGOTTEN MEMORIES

HAJIME AWKWARDLY stood at the center of the cafeteria, humming to herself as she looked for someplace to eat. It was one of those days where she was thinking much more than usual, her head in the clouds and accidentally bumping into her schoolmates a few times. She would've liked to enjoy her lunch as of now, but sitting with Todoroki and everyone else didn't settle well with her considering what she had confessed last night.

As Hajime did her third walk around the cafeteria, her eyes suddenly locked onto a pair of mix-matched ones. Her breath hitched in surprise.

"Great," she seethed through a pressed smile. "Fan-freaking-tastic."

Her steps were slow and heavy when walking, Hajime doing her best to ward away her anxiety after being caught by Todoroki. However, a flash of familiar yellow catches her attention. He sat around his friends laughing carelessly, Sero having mentioned something as the ravenette slung his arms around Kaminari's. They looked like they were having fun. Even that grump Bakugo didn't seem as tense as usual.

After realizing she's been staring at them for too long, Hajime quickly pries her gaze away from them and toward Todoroki who had gone back to eating his meal.

Hajime always sat with Todoroki, and for once she was glad that his attention was elsewhere. Because now, she had a chance to slip away from him unnoticed.

Kaminari let his laughter die down after he saw someone walk up to his table, his eyes having to do a double-take when he realized it was Hajime. Immediately, his brows furrowed, a mix of curiosity and worry drenching his face. He wasn't sure if she was in trouble or not, and Kaminari had to tell himself that surely if she did, Hajime would've had that porcelain smile he disliked.

Once Hajime reached the table, she quirked a brow at the blonde. He watched her shamelessly, not even bothering to comment on her sudden appearance.

Why is he so oblivious?!

It was far-fetched to think he would help her out, Hajime's expression lost its perk as her smile simmered into a tired one. Her violet eyes shifted to Mina and Sero, both of them grinning like idiots at each other.

"Hey, Hajime! Do you need something?"

Her muscles loosened when someone finally spoke, the girl keeping a polite smile at his choice of words. Even if Kirishima's words made her shuffle in place, Hajime had to remind herself she wasn't close to these people. Of course, Hajime had to realize she's rarely spoken to them during class since she was always stuck to Todoroki like some lost puppy.