1.2 | toxic

LEE NARI

"nari, have you prepared your song?" my teacher asks me. it was now 3rd period, my favorite period of the whole day. i genuinely liked music class, i always liked to sing. "yes, i have." i say and stand up.

"today i will be singing reflection from mulan." i say and i accidentally lock eyes with jaehyun. i look away, take a deep breath, and calm my nerves.

"look at me
i will never pass for a perfect bride
or a perfect daughter
can it be i'm not meant to play this part
now i see
that if i were truly to be myself, i would break my family's heart

who is that girl i see
staring straight, back at me
why is my reflection someone i don't know
somehow i cannot hide
who i am
though i've tried
when will my reflection show who i am inside
when will my reflection show who i am inside"

i finish singing and the teacher and other students applauded. i bow and quickly sit back in my seat. "i didn't know you could sing." jaehyun leans over and whispers. "why are you talking to me?" i ask him and he leans back and shuts his mouth. i hear him sigh as the next person goes up to sing.

•••

"please talk to me nari." jaehyun stops me right after we were dismissed for lunch. i look at him and sigh, "fine." i let him lead me to the roof, so we can talk privately.

"yes i have a girlfriend-" "no shit." i cut him off. "can you let me finish? her name is ara. sh-she's toxic and a bitch. i know that this is no excuse for talking to you and flirting with you. i want to break up with her but i-i just can't." he tells me. "so you just used me?"

"no! nari i genuinely like you. i have for a while now." he explains. "what do you mean for a while?" i question him. "oh uhm.. johnny told me about you, and i was interested. he showed me your picture and i think you're extremely beautiful. he talks about how funny and chill you are, and i uh, i was curious." he stutters a bit, but i ignore it.

"seems alot like using." i respond. "okay, i'm sorry. i can't explain anything that well and i can't defend myself. what i did was wrong and i just want your forgiveness." his eyes were full of sadness. "if she's toxic and a bitch, you shouldn't be with her anymore. i know it's hard but you have friends that will support you and get you through it." i tell him.

"yeah i know." he looks at the ground. "i can't forgive you. even though she's a bitch, you shouldn't have cheated. i don't know how she treats you but if you say she is toxic, i believe you. however, cheating is unacceptable." i say and he nods. "i'm sorry." "i know."

"i don't know what to do. i want to forgive you and i understand why you did what you did, but i just wish i would have known. it sucks to be the other girl, especially since i didn't know." i tell him. we fall into a somewhat awkward silence.

i turn around and walk away towards the staircase. i look back at jaehyun to see him staring down, over the edge. i sigh and open the door leading to the stairs.

the rest of the day consisted of me receiving sad looks from jaehyun. like yeah buddy, i get that you're sad but please stop looking at me.

i can't be the only one who feels extremely guilty when a person is sad but, it is his fault. i just feel so bad. johnny told me that jaehyun's girlfriend hits him sometimes, is constantly yelling at him, and she's always making him feel incompetent.

knowing this, it just makes me want to give him a big hug and tell him that everything is okay now. he doesn't deserve that. despite what he did to me, jaehyun is a good person. he respects people who deserve to be respected, especially women, always asks for consent, and is so funny (in a boring way, lowkey).

you can also tell he's broken in a way. although he comes off as cocky and arrogant, this man does not mean it. he'll be like, 'yeah i'm so sexy look at my abs' but deep down he's more insecure than most. i don't know how to explain it but i can see it.

—•—

this chapter lowkey short
so i'll post another chapter
soon lmao

but bro

jaehyun got a grill 🤯

tbh not surprised
mans a whore