1.8 | truth

LEE NARI

"d-dad? what are you doing here?" taeyong opens the front door and backs away. my head turns to look in his direction. "taeyong, it's been a while." our dad steps into the house and hugs my brother, though he is too shocked to hug him back.

"look, kids, i'm just gonna say it: your mom and i are selling this house and moving back in together in america." our dad tells us. "what? you and mom hate each other!" i exclaim. "we decided it's best for you guys to live together with both parents." he says and i start to shake my head.

"no way, we moved away already when i was a child. i didn't get to see or talk to taeyong for five years. i have a life here now, i can't leave my friends." i try to convince my dad. "i'm sorry nari but it's final. you and taeyong are moving in with me and your mom in america." he restates and i run upstairs. i go to taeyong's room instead of mine.

"hey," my brother softly speaks as he sits on his bed with me. "hi." i respond. "do you want to know the real reason you left korea?" he asks me and i look at him confused. "real reason?" i question and he nods. "what do you mean real reason?"

"why do you think you left, nari?" taeyong asks. "mom and dad hated each other and dad had that job offer." "mom and dad didn't hate each other. they were in love, like, a lot." taeyong tells me. "then what happened?" i question.

"you got into an accident, a car accident. you and mom were at the park and she was talking to her friend and you ran into the street and the dude was drunk and h-hit you. i-i wasn't there, i was at jaehyun's since he just got back from america but maybe if i was there, none of this wouldn't have happened. you wouldn't have left me and i wouldn't have been all alone for so long-" i cut him off.

"taeyong, it's not your fault. don't blame yourself for what happened." i tell him. "you lost your memory and were in a coma for a couple of months. mom forever blames herself and dad blames her too, that's why you moved away with dad." he continues with the story. i furrow my eyebrows, trying to process the new information.

"so i was hit by a drunk driver?" i say and taeyong nods. "i know this is supposed to be traumatic but i can't remember anything about that day and i can just imagine myself being hit like, it's funny." i say outloud and he looks at me like i'm crazy, though he soon lets out a laugh. "you're psychotic." he tells me.

"yeah, maybe.. wait, you said you were at jaehyun's house when it happened?" i ask him. he makes a face, "yeah.. we were all best friends." he says and i don't respond. i knew jaehyun? my brain hurts from processing everything. "i'm gonna go talk to dad, okay?" taeyong looks at me and i nod.

i lay down and shut my eyes, trying to remember the day of the accident.

[FLASHBACK]

"mommy! look at the flowers!" i point to the big patch of small flowers growing from the ground. "yeah? go pick some!" my mom smiles at me, then returns to talking to her friend on the phone. "oookay." i exclaim, run to the flowers to start picking them.

"BEE" i scream and fall back onto the ground, dropping all of my flowers onto the street. "oh no." i say outloud when i saw my favorite flower out of the lot (i don't know what it's called but it's purple) in the street. i contemplate on if i should grab it or not because i wanted to give it to my best friend, jaehyun, since he came back from america today.

he's been gone for four years in total, but he comes back and visits his family and taeyong and i for holidays. i decide to just go for it and pick up the flower, making sure to look both ways for cars. "NARI!" i hear my mother scream. however, it was too late.

[]

a tear rolls down my face as i remember the feeling of that day. the fear coursing through my body when my mother screamed my name, when i turned my head to be faced with the front of a car. i wince, remembering the impact.

god, what was i thinking? was i really that stupid, for a fucking flower?

more tears start to stream down my face, but i wasn't sobbing. a soft knock came from the doorframe and my head snaps to look at who it is. "jae?" i sit up and he flashes a small smile. "hey princess." his voice is comfortingly low and he makes his way over to sit next to me.

"taeyong said he told you." he says, unsure of my reaction. i nod slowly and anger soon begins to rise up within me, "it's been 5 years since it happened and nobody told me. nobody told me what happened to me, nobody told me i was in a fucking coma, you didn't tell me we were best friends before, nothing! nobody said shit to me!" i start to raise my voice.

"nari, i'm sorry. they asked me not to say anything. i can't speak for your family, so i suggest you speak with them after we talk." he calms me down and i agree with him. "okay." "my mom drove taeyong and i to the hospital when we heard the news. they wouldn't let me in at first. i was young but i was going crazy not knowing what was going on with you." jaehyun tells me.

"i visited you everyday you were unconscious, three months straight. i would even stay at the hospital with taeyong. i would tell you about my day, hoping you could hear me. one day, your mom didn't let me see you. i was confused so i asked why. they said you had lost your memory, that you didn't remember the accident at all. but you also didn't remember me. i was heartbroken and i kept my distance, and then you moved away. i thought that was the end. until you came back. even though it's probably not true, i like to think you came back to me. that after all this time, you still remember how you felt when we were kids." he looks at me with tears in his eyes.

"look, this is my favorite picture of you and me. your dad took us golfing and i accidentally hit you in the mouth with a ball and knocked out your front tooth." he shows me the picture. we were standing next to each other, he held the ball while i held my tooth. our grins were huge, especially mine for having no front tooth.

i start to laugh, "i look ridiculous." "i know." he says playfully and i punch his arm. "i need to get back home now princess. talk to your family." he says and kisses my forehead. i freeze and am unable to say goodbye. he's never done that before, but it make me feel safe.

—•—

hi everyone im so sorry for
another late chapter

im working on a new chapter
right away

im probably going to end
the book soon lol but it wont
be an abrupt ending yknow

anyway, have a good day
my friends!!