11

The group sat in their seats, shoving the food in their mouths, the only one who was actually chewing and enjoying the food was Kie. Everyone was just enjoying each other's company after a long day of almost being killed.

Maggie stood up and joined Kie, pouring the guys water, throwing away any trash that was left. The group chatted until the very last worker left The Wreck, leaving just them, Mr. Carrera and the stereo that was playing music.

Maggie sat down next to Pope, throwing french fries into his mouth. Pope picked one up, “okay, come on I’m right here just aim.” Maggie laughed, opening her mouth. 

Throwing the fry in the air, it landed right into her mouth. Both their hands shot up in excitement, “Hell yeah!” Pope cheered, giving the girl a high five. Maggie could feel JJ staring at her, her face heating up as she turned her head to look at him.

He turned his head in the other direction, distracting himself with the food in front of him. Pope laughed to himself, watching his confident friend turn flustered in a matter of seconds. “Excuse me.” Maggie got up from her chair and walked over to him, her hand extending out.

“You asking me to dance, Green?” JJ asked, earning an eye roll from the girl.

“Say yes before I change my mind.” 

He grabbed onto her hand as she led them to an open space away from tables. The music wasn’t too loud, but loud enough for them to hear it over their friends' whispers. Their bodies swayed to the music, neither of them holding back their smiles. 

He kept his grip on her hand, lifting it up to press a soft kiss to her knuckles before twirling her around into his arms. Wrapping her arms around his neck, she rested her head on his shoulder, her face nuzzled into the crook of his neck. He held her waist, pulling her close to him while resting his cheek on the top of her head.

His eyes flicked up to his friends making kissy faces, Pope turning around and crossing his arms across his chest as if he were making out with someone. JJ lifted a hand up, flipping his friends off. 

Maggie couldn’t hold herself back from kissing his neck, feeling like they were the only alive in the moment. Everything just felt... right. 

______________♡_____________

The group gathered at the dock, John B and Kie swimming underwater trying to see how well the drone they ‘borrowed’ worked. JB swam in front of the camera, wiping his teeth with his finger. 

Maggie sat on the ground, legs dangling off the edge as she watched the two resurface. “God bless geeks, Pope. Truly, man. What would we do without you to control the drones?” 

“Technically it’s not a drone. It’s an ROV.” Pope corrected JJ, Maggie rolled her eyes at both of them, “shut up, shut up. It’s too early for that right now.”

Maggie sat there, staring at the water, blanking out as the sounds of the waves took her back to the times her dad would take her fishing on the shore. 

She was 6 when her father first took her fishing, he bought her a small rod, took her out on a canoe he made with his own hands. He taught her everything she knew about the waters, and she was forever thankful for that. She missed how he would make the best ham and cheese sandwiches and bring them in a cooler. He always packed apple juice for her, made sure she had her pink Dora the Explorer bucket hat, always put sunscreen on her nose like life guards.