21

The group hid in the car port of a ruined and abandoned house, their seats pushed back and their heads hung low. JJ lifted his head up, peering out the back window as two cop cars drove by, their sirens blaring down the road. 

“And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from-” Maggie leaned forward and switched the radio station off. 

“Let’s game this out. Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all,” JJ paused as he exhaled, “but who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us? So the accuser is a bigshot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused… is John B. Who is pretty much a homeless 16-year-old boy at the moment.” 

“Thanks.” JB muttered to his best friend. 

“Okay, man. Yucatan, alright? I’m saying that’s the only option. What other option do you have?”  Maggie sighed as she rubbed her face with her hands. 

“JJ, enough with the Mexico bullshit, alright? Sarah will bail me out.” 

“She did witness the whole thing.” Kie jumped in, earning a thank you from JB.

“And she’s gonna snitch on her brother?” Pope asked Kie. 

“Her brother that is actually insane and needs mental help?” Maggie added.

“Not happening, bro. Okay? We’ve gotta get you off the island.” JJ informed him, taking the blunt out of his mouth. 

“The ferry. It’s the only way.” Pope said.

“Yeah, exit stage left while you still can man, okay? Before the entire island is on lockdown.” Maggie reached forward and pushed JJ’s head down as yet another cop car drove by them.

“Sarah’s not a pogue, John B.” Pope reminded him, lowering his head. 

“Yeah, you can’t stay here man."

Maggie sat in her seat, looking at the ceiling as she waited for Pope to come back to the car.

"Okay so uh, bad news. The ferry's closed and there is this." Pope handed Kie a piece of paper, panic written across her face.

"What is that? What is it?" JB asked as JJ grabbed the paper. Maggie peered over his shoulder as she saw the picture of John B's face, the words 'WANTED' written above it.

"Oh shit." Maggie mumbled as she saw the reward for finding him. "Well, John B, uh… this is a good framer of you." Maggie softly smacked JJ's shoulder.

"Okay, so the whole island's looking for John B right now." Pope sighed. "That's a fuck ton of money." Maggie said, lightly biting her bottom lip. 

JJ handed him the paper, "congratulations, John B. You're now famous."

"Okay guys, we got to get to the HMS. We need small, no running lights-" "it's at the Chateau, Kie." John B cut her off. "And I wonder if the cops got the entire place staked out. Let me think," JJ said sarcastically as he scratched his forehead, "oh, yeah. No. They definitely have that place locked down."

"Guys just let us think." Maggie said as she tried to come up with something. 

"JJ," Pope turned in his seat, "Does your dad still have that boat? The cigarette boat, the Phantom. The one he used to race?"