20

Maggie’s eyes snapped open as John B’s voice called out, “Pope? Kie?” She sat up from the couch and followed his voice. “JB?” She asked out loud, following him to his bedroom. 

She found him leaning against the door frame, letting out quiet sobs as he gripped the wood. “Hey, John B.” Maggie spoke softly, not wanting to scare him. 

John B has never been more thankful to see Maggie than this moment. He walked into the room and plucked the photo of his father off the wall. Resting his elbows on his knees as he sat on his bed, he studied the photo while letting out cries. 

Maggie sat next to him, wrapping her arms around his waist, her head resting on his shoulder. “I miss you.” John B said to the photo, Maggie’s heart felt a twisting pain. She used one of her hands to rub his back in a circular motion, slowly feeling some of his muscles untense.

JB sniffed as Maggie slowly released him. “I need to do something.” He stated, wiping his tears and dragging himself to stand back up. “Do you need any help?” She offered, earning a shake of his head. John B thanked her before walking outside and into the backyard.

A couple minutes went by as she pulled her wallet out of her bag, taking out the small photo of her, her mother, and father on Christmas day back when she was 6 years old. Her fingers softly traced over her father's figure. Exhaling, she walked out the house and sat down on the back steps. 

She looked up to the sky, taking a deep breath. “Hey dad,” she started as she fiddled with the picture. “A lot has been going on lately. Uh, mom hasn’t been doing so good, like I’ve told you before, she’s been kind of a mess. I don’t know what I’m doing but maybe… this will slowly start to help me let go of you.” John B was down by the dock, listening to her words as he calmed himself down.

“After you died we moved to the Outer Banks. God, you would’ve loved it here. You taught me everything I needed to know about fishing which was the first way I started making money here. I became friends with this boy John B who introduced me to his friends. You would’ve loved them, I watch out for them and they watch out for me. John B basically became my brother, he and his father opened their house up for me whenever mom got too much to handle. He has one of the kindest hearts I know. He's been struggling lately since his dad passed away too, but I know you both are up there giving each other old tips and tricks on fishing.” JB softly smiled at her kind words, knowing that their fathers would have gotten along.

“Then we have Pope. God, he’s literally the smartest person I’ve ever met. He’s pretty much the glue of the group. If we get into a dumb argument or something, he forces all of us to make up. He also sometimes knocks common sense into our heads when we need him to. For the most part of it, we don’t listen to him, but we love him for trying.”

Looking back at the photo, she wiped away a tear that fell on it. “And then we got Kiara. Kie is one of the most badass girls I’ve ever met. She has her beliefs and will fight for them if anyone tries to bring them down, like you. She’s a person who actually cares about the world, cursing people out if she sees them litter. I think you would’ve liked her because she’s strong, both mentally and physically. She helps tie me down when I feel like I’m floating away.”

Her fingers reached up and fiddled with the necklace. “Last but of course not least, JJ Maybank. I know you would’ve loved him, because I love him. We just started dating literally this morning, but it was a relationship that started before we even admitted it. And you would’ve had a ‘talk’ with him when in reality you would tell him not to hurt me and you’d give him a beer. JJ protects me, he makes me feel loved, he knows how to take my mind off of my thoughts,” she sighed as she looked back up to the stars, “I love you dad. I miss you with everything in me. I guess… I'll see you later.”