18

Everyone trudged themselves back to the van, ignoring the threats from Bary who was still on the floor in pain. JJ was driving, Kie sat on the floor and was holding Maggie who was still slightly shaking. 

The group pulled up to a sketchy looking house, “welcome to Crackhead Wasteland.” Sarah said, eying the trash and furniture that littered the front yard. “I don’t know about this, man.” Pope swallowed the lump in his throat as he shifted in his seat.

“Dude, why are we at Barry’s?” John B asked after hitting himself in the forehead. JJ exited the drivers side before marching into the house, “this will only take a second.” 

“Where are you going?” John B asked as Pope pulled open the back door. “Yo soy justicia.”

“Did you glean anything from that?” 

“Yo, somebody should probably-” Kie started, “yeah I got it.” John B said, he exited the van and following his friend who was making a bad decision.

Maggie breathed out, her hand holding onto Kie’s. “Here. I left this in here from last night so it’s a little warm.” Sarah offered an unopened bottle of water. Maggie thanked the girl as she chugged half the bottle, panting as she wiped off the water droplets that spilt out of her mouth.

The group in the van all agreed that they needed air, so they stepped out and painfully paced back and forth, waiting for the two boys to walk out of the drug dealers house.

JJ walked out with a bag in his hand, “Alright, so we’re looking at five grand each for reparations for putting us through that bullshit. Sorry about that y’all.” JJ casually said as his fingers skimmed through the stack of bills.

“So that’s what we’re doing now? We’re robbing drug dealers?” Kie asked in disbelief.

“This Barry guy’s gonna find out. And he’s gonna come after us.” Sarah spoke up.

“JJ this is only gonna put us in more danger.” Maggie said, ignoring the glare JJ was giving her.

“Yes, he will. This is not the time to start willin’ out.” Pope argued with the blond.

“How’d you guys like having a gun pulled on you?” JJ seethed, not wanting to believe that he was the only one who thought this was a good idea.

“Relax.” John B stepped up to his friend. “He had it right here on you, bro.” JJ reminded him, pointing his fingers at him.

“Look. We’ve gotta go get the gold, okay? Just give me that shit, we’re putting it back.” John B grabbed the money out of his hand. JJ stepped forward, slamming John B against the van, his arm dangerously close to to his neck.

“You feel like a tough guy? Huh? What are you gonna do when he comes for us? When he comes for Maggie?” He whispered the last part, biting his tongue.

“We punch him in the throat.” 

“Yeah, good fucking idea, JJ.”

“I’m not putting it back.” The blond grabbed the money back from JB’s hands and stepped into the van. “You guys getting in or what?” Nobody moved.