Chapter 8: Enigma Machine

The atmosphere in the room was full of tension with Theo having Cain hostage. Booker was confused and in shock when he heard the British man shout about Cain being a Nazi.

"What the hell do you mean?" Booker questioned.

"Did you not hear what I just said?!" Theo asked rhetorically. "He's not who you think he is, he's a Nazi officer who worked in Mauthausen!"

"You can't just make these accusations!" Booker argued, turning his attention to Cain whose face was once of a man in fear; now became a stern expression before a small chuckle slipped out of Cain's lips.

Cain looked at Theo with a confused and fearful look. "B-Booker, my friend, please talk some sense into him!" he begged helplessly.

Booker gulped, unsure of what to do in this situation. If he tried to stop Theo, he would most likely shoot him without hesitation.

The dark-skinned man looked over at the desk Cain was sitting by, looking at the strange-looking typewriter. Booker points at it, recognizing what it was.

"C-Cain, why do you have that?" he asked the Austrian man.

Cain looked at the machine, his fearful face slowly changed to a deadpan expression. His ocean blue eyes looked cold and dead, like the aftermath of Pearl Harbour.

"This would've been easier if you never walked in."

Cain grabs Theo's wrist and points the gun away from him, making the British agent fire at the ceiling instead. He breaks Theo's wrist, making the older man curse in agonizing pain as he drops the gun. Cain caught the falling firearm and points it at the agent's chest before firing.

"No!" Booker cried out.

Cain turned around and pointed the gun at Booker.

"America isn't as different from the concentration camps I've been in," monotoned Cain. "Negros being treated like animals, used for slave work, then eventually put down like dogs," he continued. "I may have been on the wrong side of the war, but now with Hitler gone, we can finally bring this unfair world into a time of peace."

Booker was confused by the sudden monologue as he stared at Cain cautiously. "What are you talking about?"

"My leader wants a world of peace. Something the First World War failed to achieve," Cain answered. "You can join us, we need the extra hands."

Booker's cautious stare turned into a glare. He didn't believe what he was hearing.

"Sound's like bullshit," argued Booker. "Why the hell should I believe an ex-SS officer?"

"Don't you think it's cruel that old men send young men to die for them?" Cain asked.

Booker's eyes widened from hearing Cain's question. He had to be honest. He's right. He may be agreeing with a Nazi of all people, but he agrees with him.

"I've seen my fair share of friends being killed. Hell, I've seen an old classmate of mine be put in those striped prisoner uniforms," Cain sighs and puts down the gun on the nightstand next to him. "You and Auryon can help us, so we don't have to see any more die."

Booker looked down at his feet. He couldn't make a decision like this on his own. If only Auryon was here. 

No... Auryon shouldn't be here.

Booker looked over at Theo, who is bleeding on the floor, and then his eyes averted to the gun on the nightstand before finally, his gaze turned to Cain. He made his decision.

Booker jumped towards the nightstand, grabbing the gun right before Cain could. When Booker attempted to point and shoot at the Austrian, Cain punched the dark-skinned man directly in the face, making Booker dazed from the punch. Once Booker shook off the punch, he tackled Cain into the wall and pushed the barrel of the pistol under his chin.

"I'm not letting you bring Auryon into whatever fucked up plan you're making," Booker growled, his glare piercing into Cain's soul.

Cain softly laughs before deviously grinning at Booker. "She already is," he chuckled. "Ever since you both got on that train, your fates have already been sealed."

Booker suddenly pulls the trigger as blood splatter out of his head and paints the beige wall red. Cain's body turned limp, slowly sliding down the wall and falling to the floor. Booker panted heavily as he looked at the corpse of the man he killed.

The sound of coughing caught Booker's attention. He looked at Theo who was still alive, coughing up blood. He ran towards the older man and knelt down next to him. Examining his bullet wound. It was fatal but he tried to put pressure on it.

"S-Stop," Theo grunts as he looks at Booker. "You need to go."

"I-I gotta take you to a hospital," stammered Booker as continued to use his hands to cover the bullet wound.

Theo grabs Booker's wrists. "If you take me to a hospital, you'll get arrested," he tells him with a tone of pain. "I can't let that happen... leave me here, take the machine and go."

Booker was surprised by the older man's kind voice.

"I'm sorry for being rude to you earlier, son," apologized Theo. "Don't let anyone treat you like a slave."

The life in Theo's eyes started to dim before becoming completely lifeless as he lets go of Booker's wrist and falls limp on the floor.

Booker looks down at Theo in shock and disbelief. He slowly pulled his hands away from the wound and looked down at his blood-covered hands.

The door slams open, Booker turned his head towards it to see Auryon standing at the door frame. She has blood on her as well.

"Booker!" called out Auryon.

Auryon saw the two bodies in the room. Covering her mouth as she gagged before closing her eyes and clenching her fist. Her eyes opened, her hand unclenched as she tried to keep cool before speaking, "We need to leave."

Booker slowly stood up and watched Auryon turn around and leave. He looks at the Enigma machine and walked toward it. He picks it up and leaves the motel room with her.