07. UH-OH

CHAPTER 7:
UH-OH
[ L/N ]

"It was nice knowing you, L/n." Yumiko feigned hurt as she clasped both of her hands and pulled them into her chest.

You glared at her and raked your hand in your already dishevelled hair, sighing heavily. "I can't believe I just did that. My parents are gonna kill me."

Your best friend hastily sat on your desk and wrapped an arm around your shoulder, pulling you close. "But my baby L/n is growing up: going on a date with a boy!" she faked sobbed, wiping an invisible tear off her eyes.

"Yumiko- get off! I barely know him," you stressed, fixing your tie as you gently pushed your best friend's face away from yours. "I don't know what came over me when I agreed. I just did." you groaned and hid your face in your hands.

"Might it be that you actually like him?" Yumiko wondered, a finger on her chin in thought. You grimaced and shook your head. "I didn't even know his name until then. Don't go jumping into conclusions."

Your chest tightened at the thought of your parents finding out, and throughout the years, you're never really one to lie to them. You did, at one point, but regretted it because it was at that moment that you got to see your parents' wrath. So you try your best to avoid getting into situations that would get you to lie to them.

Save for this one, apparently.

"So when are you and electro-boy going out?" Yumiko asked, swinging her legs as she stares at you expectantly.

You sunk in your seat, worn out from worrying. "He didn't even say. I left immediately after I realized I just instinctively agreed."

-

You grinned widely at him, but your thoughts were everywhere to the point where you can no longer think properly and rationally.

'Did I hear him right? Did he just ask me out? But why? We just met and it's not even on the right foot! What is he thinking?!'

'Holy frick, a guy asked me out?! That's never happened before...I wonder how it feels like?'

'Don't you dare! Our parents are gonna be ma-'

"Yeah! I'll go on a date with you."

'WHAT IN ALL MIGHT'S NAME-'

The boy in front of you blinked, completely in disbelief that you straight away threw an answer like that.

Your hands were starting to sweat and you don't know how much longer you can stand with how much your legs were shaking. You tried your best to not show how much you regretted agreeing to his proposition, and kept the grin on your face.

For once, your mind went blank and you don't think anything you read from your textbooks held the solution for the predicament you are in right now.

"Really?- I-I mean- g-great! So-"

"That's great! I'm looking forward to it! Goodbye!" you rapidly said- almost shouted- as you slid the door close, the sound echoing throughout the hallway.

You leaned on the cold surface of the entryway and slid down to the just as cold tiles floor, burying your face in your hands.

Did you just let your emotions carry you away just then?

-

Most of your life, you had only devoted yourself to studying. You cut off people from your life that tried to link a connection with you, only thinking of them as distractions- though, that was what your parents made you believe they were to be.

It was when you graduated in your previous school with the highest honor that you realized you didn't really have friends. Students from below stared blankly at you as you delivered your valedictorian speech, most of them weren't even listening: too busy talking to whoever was beside them.

None of your classmates held an enthusiastic glimmer in their eyes as you talked onstage. The claps were quiet when you finished, compared to the commotion that happened after the salutatorian's message.

You even saw them handing out envelopes to one another- a letter for their friends, you assumed.

And you got none.

So you decided that you ought to change that once you go into UA, but seeing as how the school is known for its knowledgeable, and strong students that made it big to the world, you assumed that it might be a challenge to even talk to a person.

You thought about how to gain friends, whereas your parents bought a bundle of business books for you to study on before you take the exams.

Now here you are, with Yumiko beside you. So far, the first friend you had in a decade.

Saying "yes" to Denki Kaminari was something and nothing out of your mind. You wanted to feel something that's been made unknown to you for a long time, though, there is that lingering fear of your parents.

"But L/n, are you really sure about this? You know, you could always say no," Yumiko pointed out. You gave her a tight-lipped smile and shook your head. "It's okay, I got this."

"You're not just being nice are you?" the girl in front of you quirked an eyebrow and you laughed softly, shaking your head again. "No. It's totally on me."

"I am actually very worried about how your parents will react to this. They're very strict, aren't they?"

You nodded and sighed. "Yeah. I just...hope they wouldn't find out."

Yumiko's eyes widened in surprise. "You're really serious about this?"

You looked at her with determination and fear in your eyes. "I guess I am."