Chapter 9

_________________
                       If you ever find yourself
                      Stuck in the middle of the
                                        Sea.
                             I'll sail the world
                                 To find you.
                              Bruno Mars
                      _________________

My legs swung back and forth as I waited for the twins. They had left the classroom to help with their club's display and told me to wait here. My wait was interrupted though.

"(L/n)...I'm sorry to bother you but, would you mind spending the day with me? As a... date? Maybe?" One of the upperclassmen asked me. He was shy. His fingers twiddled together in nervousness.

My hands shuffled in my bag and I pulled out a hard strawberry candy. "I'm sorry, I'm supposed to be hanging out with my friends today. If you catch me at a better time I would've agreed." I said. The boys around me snapped their heads in my direction. This was the first 'almost yes' they have ever heard of coming out from me. They eyed the situation to study.

"Oh...I understand! Maybe another day then?" The boy asked hopefully.

"(Y/n)!" A voice called to me. Before I answered,  my attention was diverted to my only distraction.

"Oh, Amane! I was wondering where you were." I gleamed at the boy approaching me. My stomach had butterflies. The other boys around me examined how I spoke with him. They knew I was fond of him. Not knowing I liked him exactly, but they envied the boy. They just didn't do anything about it because of Tsukasa. I placed a hand on the boy in front of me and used my free hand to give him the strawberry candy. "Maybe," I spoke.

Amane looked slightly confused at our exchange. But paid no mind to it when I started to walk away from the boy and towards where he was. "Sorry for the wait." Amane scratched the back of his head and looked down shyly. "Someone stopped me on the way here."

"What happened?" I asked curiously. We started walking into the school building to our first activity.

"A girl confessed to me," Amane spoke. I halted in my place and my heart dropped.

"O-oh?" My eyes looked to the floor. I was too upset to look him in the eyes. "What did you say?" I asked him. That's a normal question to ask about confessions, right? I don't want to seem bothered.

"Hmm." Amane hummed. He placed his hands behind his head and gave me a closed eye grin. "I said that I liked someone else."

My foot stumbled forward in astonishment. "Wh-what? This was your first confession, right? Why would you say no?" I asked. I regretted it as soon as it came out of my mouth.

"My, curious are we?" He teased me. I looked away from the piercing eyes and continued walking. "It's because I would have a chance with the girl I like being single, other than being taken."

"You don't even know if she likes you. And your risking being with another girl for the sake of this one?" I asked as we kept walking.

"That's...hard to explain." He chuckled. My heart fluttered and I started to play with my hands. "Why would I date someone I don't like? You reject guys all the time. You say you like someone too, yet no one knows who it is."

My face flushed at the boy's comment. "Because it's confidential."

Amane laughed and bumped into my shoulder like this morning. "I wasn't asking. I was pointing it out." 

Before we knew it, we had arrived at the haunted houses. The whole corner of the floor was covered in spooky decorations. "Wow, they tried really hard. Which ones should we do first? Wait, shouldn't we wait for Tsukasa?" I asked him.