Friendship

Throwing on a pair of skinny jeans and a crop top before adding a backwards cap i run downstairs, Katie is picking me up in a hour ready to go to her semi finals, I have enough to time for a family meal before shooting off and enjoying my afternoon with Katie, i have missed spending time with Katie we have both been busy with skateboarding or surfing to meet. Now that i have some free time I'm watching Katie, even if i was told to train i would off turned up to Katie's semi final. Heading downstairs after getting dress i sit with my grandparents for a meal enjoying each of our company, grandma always wants a family dinner every week but we not all free so agreed to be free once every two weeks. Taking my seat I eat in silence as my grandparents talks along themselves, I appreciate them wanting me here and to have a dinner but I feel like they are scared to let me grow on my own.

****

Climbing into Katie car I'm beyond excited for her semi finals, I can't wait to cheer the loudest for her, after recent events I can finally say I'm happy and slowing moving on with my life, I wouldn't of thought I'll be with Katie going to her competition. How my life has turned I didn't see myself happy and starting to date when my parents passed.
"I can't wait to watch you wipe the floor with everyone" I say to an excited Katie who's driving and hasn't taken her eyes off the road, I still hate getting into cars but I calmed down with Katie however I don't think I can climb in a car with someone I don't know driving
"I can save the same for you, it's about time my little girl got back on the surf board" she jokes winking at me as we pull up to a red light, I like our little banta and I know she's proud of me, so is everyone else. Having small talk in the car we finally pull up and the crowds are large like last time, I don't want to admit it but I'm really starting to like being back with everyone and not social distancing, I reckon my parents are happy that I'm finally getting back to normal. Walking though the crowd to find Katie parents I decided to still keep my head down and away from anyone spotting who I am as I don't want to take the spotlight from Katie, she has deserved everything and I can't wait till she goes pro, hopeful it's soon because she is one hell of a athlete. Hiding my face with a cap and my hair I make it too Katie parents with a smile
"There's my favourite duo" I laugh hugging both of Katie parents, it's been good to finally see them again with them both busy with Katie and there work.
"Cutie, How is my favourite girl" Katie mother ask winking at me, me and her both mess around pretending that I'm her favourite and my parents did it to me telling me Katie was there favourite but i know I was really my parents favourite. Turning my attention to the competition after talking to Katie parents I wait for Katie turn to ride, everyone in the semi finals are good but when it's Katie turns to drop on the ramps I'm stunned by how much air she actually gets. Damn this women can ride.

Watching the rest of the semi finalist ride I'm excited watching everyone as I hate to admit it but I'm waiting for someone to fall as I have watch videos and when they do drop and fall it actually looks like fun, I think that wrong for me to think but never mind. Scanning my eyes left to right as they ride I have a smile on my face, I really need to get out the house a lot more. Cheering on from beside Katie parents a rider finally falls and sides down the ramps but actually looking at it live I don't think it actually fun falling but sliding looks fun. One by one semi finalist has had three runs and the results are in, I'm a nervous wreck waiting for the finals as Katie has a little fall but her other two runs was spot on, no mistakes so I'm hoping she nailed this and is though to the finals. As they pronounced third and second they haven't said Katie name yet
"And your semi finalist winner is Katie" cheering at the top of my lungs I'm overly excited and jumping up and down, I haven't been this excited in a long time but it feels good to let lose and have a good times, watching Katie come to the podium i have the biggest smile on my face and like always Katie points to me and her parents rising her trophy, shes adorable when she does that, laughing at her I'm still cheering at the top of my lungs, finals in two weeks and i know she has this under her belt.

Stood by Katie car as she signs autographs and take photos i am really proud of her after almost giving it up for me she has done amazing, i can't wait till shes doing this on a daily as she be a perfect role model for the younger generation, we actually need some better role models around anyway. Looking at the crowd i have noticed how busy these events have got, who knew it could be this popular. Patiently waiting i finally see Katie coming out the crowd with a biggest grin on her face, she looks a little shocked she won but i knew she do it as she got straight back up when she had a little fall, it doesn't matter how hard you get knocked down, its the getting back up that counts and she did with a smile on her face.
"Damn girl, that was amazing congratulations" i say hugging Katie as she comes to me, i can't wait now till the finals where she will crush that and ill be standing with her parents cheering on the loudest even if i have to get a microphone, everyone will be hearing me and they wont forget who Katie is.
"Thank you, lets get out of here" i jump in the passenger seat of Katie car ready for our normal ritual when one of wins and thats a milkshake at Betty cafe, she be expecting us no doubt and i love her milkshakes, only if they could deliver as there in the middle of town pretty much and I'm by the ocean, long way for a milkshake but it definitely worth it. As Katie driving i think about the two empty shots on Betty wall that shes been saving for me and Katie to win again. I don't know how i feel about having a photo without my parents on her wall but I'm sure ill come up with something. I think.