The Ascendant One

Joseph looked at Riser who was on the roof of the main building. Joseph felt like he was approaching someone who felt superior to him.

Joseph: (Think Joseph think. There has to be a way to beat him.)

Riser: Joseph Joestar.

Joseph: What is it?

Riser: I, Lord Riser, want to offer you something.

Joseph: And that is?

Riser: I want you to join my peerage.

Joseph: What?

Riser: At first I thought you were just dirt at the bottom of my shoe but now that you've come this far I have found a new respect for you. The power you have has massive potential. If you could beat my entire peerage and just be human. Then imagine your power if you became a devil. And not just a devil but a proud member of the house of Phenex.

Joseph: I'm not looking for power. I'm trying to get Akeno back.

Riser: Akeno? The Queen?

Joseph: Yes.

Riser chuckles.

Riser: Very well...She's yours.

Joseph: What?

Riser: Consider it your prize. If me and Rias are married then her peerage will be united with mine.

Riser drops from the roof, standing at Joseph's level.

Riser: It's your choice Joseph. Become part of my peerage or die fighting a fight you can't possibly win.

Joseph started to think. He was doing all this for Akeno and the goal he wanted was right there for the taking.

Joseph: I...I...

Joseph knew Rias didn't want this. Why else would she fight this guy but this deal seemed so good. Was it selfish to not want to die? What would John think of him? Would Akeno understand?

Joseph: I...

Joseph starts to breath fast and eventually start to hyperventilate.

Joseph: Y...Ye....

Joseph starts to feel sick. For the first time in this new world he felt like he didn't know what to do.

Riser: What's taking so long? This shouldn't be hard to decide.

Joseph keeps breathing fast.

Joseph: (What do I do? What do I do? What do I do? What do I do? What do I do? What do I do?)

Joseph then starts to hear a familiar voice in his head.

????: I'm not afraid to die here. I am a proud member of the Zeppeli family. So you see, it's in my blood. Something like this might mean absolutely nothing to a demented and inhuman monster like you. My father didn't recognize me, but he sacrificed his life to save mine anyway. My grandfather gave his Hamon energy to save JoJo's grandfather, right before he died. It's tradition, I have to do something. I can't let my life's flame, just flatter out to darkness. This the Zeppeli family spirit! Handed down from the past to ensure the family's future! It's the human spirit! JoJo! This is the last of my Hamon! Take it from me!

Joseph touches the headband on his head and Whispers.

Joseph: I can't let it go to waste.

Riser: What did you say?

Joseph: No.

Riser: What?

Joseph: I said no.