Twenty-One

Nothing at school changes, which means that my parents kept their mouths shut. I'd like to think that it's out of respect for me and my relationship, but probably not. More likely, it's to save their own skin. They probably think Jack and I have been together since we were twelve or something. It would be humiliating for anyone to know that we've been sneaking around under their noses for what they probably think is years.

Louisa acts as a messenger between me and Susie. I can talk to Louisa because we go to the same school but Susie is still in sixth grade. So we pass notes through Louisa and our parents don't know. She knows what's going on but she hates it more than I do.

I stay with Jack for two months before anything significant happens.

I drive myself to school in Jack's car because he's "sick" and suffer through three hours before I see him again.

If he was actually sick, I would've gone home during lunch to make him eat some soup, but he's faking. His parents are fooled, but I know his routine. I've used it a few times myself. Usually when Jack and I need a day for ourselves, but once because I wanted to skip a test.

I really did intend to go see him after I ate, but he was closer than I thought.

I walk into the cafeteria and I'm immediately greeted with shouting. I flinch so hard that I accidentally smack the person closest to me.

Jack's there with a huge banner that says something about prom. I don't even read it, I'm so stunned. Someone takes a picture and goes, "Oh, fuck, the flash was on." and I'm yanked back to life.

"So?" Jack asks.

I look from him to the faces of the people holding the banner. His parents, Louisa, and every single out LGBT+ person in the school. Some of the closeted gays from the chess team are standing behind them with huge smiles and nervous tapping hands.

"Oh, my God." I manage to splutter.

Jack sighs exasperatedly. "Dude, you're killing me here."

I look back up at him from the banner. I've never seen him look this nervous. I nod wildly and his face breaks out into a grin. He throws his arms around me, and, to my surprise, kisses me.

Everyone in the lunchroom makes some sort of surprised sound. Louisa squeals excitedly.

I thought he was asking me as some sort of friendly gesture. Like, if the gay kid can go with his straight friend, then I am legally allowed to wear a sombrero to prom or something. I don't know. I'm just yellow and pink and so, so in love.

I can't stop smiling.

The rest of the day, people are congratulating me. The jocks don't even look my way. I think they understand the intensity of Jack's bodyguarding now. It must frighten them more, because they stop bullying anyone who's LGBT+ altogether.

Nobody even bothers us. We're happy and out and it's wonderful. David eventually gets wind of my situation and threatens to contact social services, so my parents begrudgingly let me back into the house.

They barely speak to me, but at least I have Louisa and Susie. That's enough for me.

Jack and I somehow get nominated for prom king. For the first time ever, our school has two prom kings. Since they were only prepared for a guy and a girl, Jack takes the delicate tiara and places it elegantly on top of his own head, and demands I wear the crown meant for the king. Jack adopts "your majesty" and "my queen" as some new nicknames for himself and has all the freshmen referring to him as her royal highness by the end of the year.

I don't think I've ever been this happy.