Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Ji Hoo sat in his hotel room contemplating his next move. He had flown all the way to New York and had gotten nowhere. He knew where in Los Angeles Jun Pyo was – the guard had mentioned a conference he had gone to – but L.A. was several hours on the plane away, and he was weary to the bone. Missing Jan Di a great deal did not help his spirits either.

He decided to give her a call.

"Hey, I was just thinking about you!" Her voice sounded cheerful.

"Really?"

"Yeah, I'm at the mall with Yi Jung sunbae."

"Oh." He paused. "How's the ring hunting going?"

"Good. We finally found one for her. He's just wrapping things up at the store." A pause. "I can't wait to see you tomorrow night."

Me too, he thought.

He closed his eyes and thought of the reason he had come to New York. He thought of the elaborate proposal they'd been planning, and of coming home empty handed to Jan Di. He clenched his jaw and strengthened his resolve. I can't give up now.

"Umm...about that," he began, unsure of how to tell her. "I'm not coming back tomorrow." He sighed. "I have to stay here for a few more days."

"Oh." Was all she said. He imagined her smile being replaced by a frown.

"I'm sorry." He wanted to tell her why he was there so bad. "I'm just not done here yet."

"Okay," she said. He could hear the disappointment in her voice. "I miss you, Ji Hoo," he heard her whisper. He could tell how hard this has been for her.

If you think missing me is hard, you should try missing you, he thought, ruefully.

"Is that Ji Hoo?" He heard Yi Jung's voice call out.

"Hey, what's up Ji Hoo?"

"I have to stay here a few more days," he confessed.

"Oh. Okay."

"I can't get a hold of Jun Pyo. Just look after Jan Di, okay?"

"Yeah, okay."

"Thanks for continuing on with the plan."

"You better come back in time though!" Yi Jung warned.

"I'll do my best," he replied, wearily.

"I need you, dude!" Yi Jung exclaimed.

"I'll be there, don't worry."

"Uh huh."

"Thanks again, bro."

"Okay. Be safe!"

He hung up, bent over and cradled his head in his hands.

...

His flight to L.A. took around 6 hours direct. He tried to eat on the plane because that was the only time he ever remembered to eat. He scolded himself for not taking better care of his body. He couldn't afford to get sick, or to collapse due to starvation and dehydration (not to mention exhaustion).

He booked himself into a hotel near the Los Angeles Convention Centre, as he had no idea where Jun Pyo was staying. He thought about going straight to the Convention Centre, but he couldn't find the energy to do so. According to his sources (that is, the internet), the conference Jun Pyo was attending was ending the next day. He had time to take a much-needed break.

He woke up to the sound of his phone ringing.

"Hey, Ji Hoo, you owe me a new pair of shoes!" Yi Jung blurted out, as soon as he picked up.