Chapter 14

Chapter 14

(EPILOGUE)

...

"Wait, we're playing what?"

Yi Jung stood inside the arena, his hands on his hips. Woo Bin and Ji Hoo stood beside him, all of them wearing track pants and t-shirts. Ji Hoo had a red bandana tied around his head to keep his hair away from his face. He had grown his hair long again. Woo Bin's leg had completely healed by now, and he had been going through physio-therapy to get it functioning back to normal.

Jan Di grinned widely, although she was feeling a bit nervous inside. Ga Eul stood beside her – both of them wore shorts and a loose shirt, their hair up on ponytails.

The door opened and Hye Jin walked in, bright eyed and smiling, wearing the same outfit as them.

Jan Di recollected running into the girl a week ago while she was out at the supermarket.

...

"Hye Jin!" she called out, as she ran to hug the small and petite girl. She had just finished buying groceries as she promised to cook supper for Ji Hoo and Grandfather that night.

Hye Jin flashed her a wide smile. "Jan Di! How have you been?"

"I'm good," she smiled back. "Where have you been? We haven't seen you around the coffee house lately."

"Oh, I don't work there anymore," the girl replied, her eyes bright. "I got a job at an engineering firm downtown. I'm a career woman now!"

That's why, Jan Di thought. They'd been to the coffee house three times since and hadn't seen the girl. She knew Woo Bin had been too shy to ask where she was, and Jan Di had just assumed the girl was taking a break.

"Does that mean we won't see you around anymore?" Jan Di thought about how Woo Bin had been so quiet every time they met at the coffee house lately. Even Yi Jung's teasing had not gotten a rise out of him.

A plan slowly began to form in her head.

"Hey, Hye Jin, do you want to hang out sometime?" She asked, hopefully. "With, you know, me and the gang?"

Hye Jin's eyes lit up. "Really? For sure!"

"What do you like to do?" She wasn't much into planning things anymore, but she didn't want Hye Jin to feel left out in case they decided on something she didn't feel comfortable doing. "Is there anything you enjoy doing?"

Hye Jin grinned widely at her and nodded.

"Soccer."

...

"Are you girls sure you want to do this?" Yi Jung called out, as they stood out on the soccer field. All of them wore running shoes, with the exception of Hye Jin, who was wearing soccer cleats.

Jan Di nodded. "Boys versus Girls. Loser buys dinner."

The boys raised their eyebrows, and Woo Bin shook his head in amusement.

Ga Eul wrinkled her forehead and called Jan Di aside.

"Jan Di," Ga Eul whispered, with Hye Jin huddled beside her. "If we lose, we'll need to chalk up a lot of money to pay for their dinner – because I'm certain they'll make us pay. But if they lose...well, they buy us dinner all the time! We could go to the most expensive place and those boys won't even bat an eye. It's not really much of a punishment, you know?"