Chapter 15 (Bonus Chapter): The Trip

Chapter 15: The Trip

Ji Hoo woke up to the shrill sound of his alarm. He rolled over on his bed and reached for the snooze button. He did not want to get out of bed yet.

Opening one eye, he checked the time. It was only 6:05 in the morning, and the sun had not yet fully risen. He sat up quickly when he remembered what day it was. It was Friday – and Jan Di had asked him to take a few days off so they could spend some time together.

His lips quirked at the side. Three days off work at the same time was a rarity for them but they had managed to pull it off. He wondered what kind of things Jan Di had planned for them. Whatever it was – he was sure he would enjoy it.

He stood up and started walking towards the washroom. He cast a cursory glance towards his bed. Soon enough he would wake up and find Jan Di sleeping right beside him. The thought made his heart skip a beat. He paused in front of the mirror and noticed his hair in disarray, but he couldn't help but smile at his reflection.

Three days together. Jan Di had told him to pack a weekend bag. He had no idea to where, nor did he care. He grinned as he brushed his teeth. He hopped into the shower, humming softly while he relished the hot spray coming out of the huge rain shower head. When he was done, he put on some sweatpants, a loose shirt and his favorite running shoes. Jan Di had told him to wear workout clothes.

Grandfather sat in the living room reading the morning paper.

"Good morning!" He greeted his grandfather with a quick hug.

"Well, someone's in a happy mood so early in the morning," Grandfather observed, a grin on his face. "I take it you're off to see Jan Di today?"

Ji Hoo nodded. "We're going on a trip somewhere. We'll be back on Sunday." He paused, and examined his grandfather. "Will you be okay here?"

His grandfather snorted. "Of course. The servants come to clean and cook for me. I have a driver to take me wherever I want to go. What more could I ask for?"

He nodded. "I'll make us breakfast today. I hope you're hungry!" He proceeded to whip up his specialty breakfast for his grandfather. Even though his grandfather had retired, he was rarely home. He was always out somewhere volunteering or giving out lectures and speeches either on medicine or politics. Ji Hoo missed spending time with his grandfather. They still went fishing at least once a month – but he hadn't made him breakfast in a while. They chatted happily as they ate, and Ji Hoo was in such high spirits he was certain it was going to be a great weekend.

He had just stepped back into his room when he heard his phone vibrate. His brow furrowed. It was too early for Jan Di to be texting him to pick her up. He glanced at his phone.

It was So Yi Jung. His furrow deepened as he read the message:

Jan Di needs you. Come to her house now!

Why would Yi Jung be texting him about Jan Di? He dialed her number but it went straight to voicemail. He tried to quell the small panic rising inside him. Was something wrong? Was she in trouble? He grabbed his coat and bag and was on his way out the door when his phone vibrated again.

Oh, bring your guitar.

He scowled. What? Was Yi Jung drunk this early in the morning?

He was in his car ready to leave when it vibrated a third time.

And bring 10 pounds of Korean beef!

Ji Hoo paused and shook his head in disbelief. Okay, just when he thought Yi Jung couldn't get any weirder...

He started his car and headed towards Jan Di's place.