1: I just hope he feels the same.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like."

- Lao Tzu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Percy, it is already noon you asshole."

Someone kicked the door of the Prince's room open and Percy, even without caring to look towards it in his half-asleep half-awake state knew who it was. No one but his personal guard, Jason Grace, would dare to enter his room without permission; let alone kick his door and damage the latches for possibly the fifth time this year.

Percy groaned and he felt the starting of a headache. He'd spent too much time yesternight pondering over telling the council to get lost from his life and cancel The Selection. At one point he almost marched to the king's room in hope of explaining that he wasn't ready.

Because.. because.

He wondered if he would ever feel ready.

But, he knew that with the council pushing the king over his limits, with the neighbouring countries' sensitive border issues, with Estelle's constant attention need, his drama with something he knew was coming for months - isn't something he can dump on the king, on his step-father, he had thought, at the eleventh hour.

Would they even care about what he says?

Now waking up in the morning (noon actually), just 3 hours before The Selection officially commerced, he wished he had been tad bit more bold from the start with everything.

Which start? His mind asked. He just jumped out of bed trying to zone into Jason's words.

Last minute philosophy gets you no where.

"... thought you left the palace you idiot. I am responsible for your ass you know? You seriously got me scared one minute there Percy. Why don't you understand that this isn't just..."

"Okay okay shut up. I get it, I overslept, my mistake, forgive me" Percy scoffed, almost emotionless.

Jason pressed his lips, unsure of how to handle the sudden change of mood. "Look man, I know there is a lot in your head right now but you need to be presentable to the country in a few hours. So, please, get your shit to the restrooms and stop panicking your stylists more than you already have. The maids have rung your room bell at least thirty times now. You should be up before they decide against my opinion and tell the king."

I know.

Percy sighed and nodded.

......

It had been a week since Percy spent time with Annabeth. He was so busy with all the rules and regulations regarding his selection that he couldn't give enough time for his best friends. They talked a little during breakfast, spared glances in the hallways and that's it. Jason had insisted cancelling capture the flag but Percy had told them to play without him. He didn't even get around enough to know if they actually did play without him.

Now that Percy was standing in front of a hundred cameras and his kingdom's scrutinising eyes, he wished he had got some last minute advice. Annabeth was always the better strategist among his friends. It was like she just knew how to handle situations. She always boasted of having a plan in her head, something Percy seldom did.