The Favor

You stared at the ground, blood splattered all over your face and clothing. Below you were scattered limbs of the woman you killed using an explosive.  You stared at what was left of the woman's head as tears ran down your face. 

     Even though this battle was won, the war was a loss. Quite a lot of people died even someone most dear to you. Your Captain. You still couldn't accept her death even though it happened right in front of your eyes. 

" I'm sorry, Captain," you mumbled under your breath with a sniffle. 

     You gripped the hilt of your Zanpakuto and grit your teeth. You will surely avenge her by defeating Utachi. With a few more sniffles you sheathed your Zanpukto as a few of the Captains and Lieutenants came over to see if the job was finished.

     Shunsui came over to you and noticed the tears rolling down your face. He sighed softly and put a hand on your shoulder, giving a reassuring smile.

" The one thing She never regretted was having you as a Lieutenant. You did well, (L/N)," Shunsui told you.

     Your eyes widened at his words as more tears suddenly filled your eyes. you quickly turned away from him and waved your hand in dismissal, trying not to cry in front of everyone. 

     The very next day, you were walking down the halls of Division 14 barracks. You had just finished packing Haj's belongings and putting them in a safe place. Even though your Captain wanted you to be the Captain you knew you couldn't.

     For you to become a Captain, you would either need to achieve Bankai or be recommended by six Captains and approved by those who didn't give recommendations. There was a third way but... your Captain was already dead so trial by combat was definitely out the question. 

     Honestly, you wouldn't have considered it anyway. So this left you wondering who your new Captain would be. You sighed heavily as you went out into the yard and laid down on the grass. Taking a deep breath, you just closed your eyes and enjoyed the temporary relaxation.

" You shouldn't be Laying around! You must prepare!," You heard. 

     You opened your eyes and blinked, looking to your right to see the manifestation of your Zanpakuto. You stared at it with confusion, not remembering the last time your Zanpakuto decided to converse with you.

" I will prepare, just give me a second. There's been a lot going on recently," You replied.

" That's an even better excuse for you to get off your ass!" Your Zanapkuto growled.

     You sighed and sat up, rubbing the back of your neck. A yawn escaped your lips. Your Zanpakuto glared at you as if you were some lazy teenager or something. But then their expression changed. You looked at them confused. 

" Why do you look like that?" you asked.

" Want to learn Bankai?" it asked you. 

     Your eyes suddenly widened and you hopped up onto your feet. Were they for real? Were you about to learn Bankai? You couldn't believe it. No, you sure as hell wasn't going to believe it.

" Why now of all times? Why after Captain dies?" You questioned.

" The death of the Captain hurt both of us. Everything you feel emotionally I feel too. If you want to defeat Utachi, You need to be ready for what's to come," it told you.

You nodded.

" Learning Bankai will take some time and who knows when the Soul society will be attacked again. So let's get started," It said and then vanished.

     Your expression was now quite serious. Your Znapakuto was right. If you plan to avenge Haj and kill Utachi you had to learn Bankai. Utachi was strong, now its time for you to be stronger. But something didn't seem right.

     How were you going to learn Bankai in such little time even though it takes decades to learn and master? You scratched your head in confusion and began to pace around the yard. From the porch a few people watched you.

     The moment you looked up, your eyes widened and you quickly bowed, " Captains Kyouraku, Captain Ukitake! Apologies, I didn't see you there..." you exclaimed.

" Sorry for randomly showing up. We just came by to check on you," Shunsui said with a calm smile.

" Oh, thank you. You didn't have to," You said kindly.

" Of course we did! Captain Uerinton was a close friend of ours. It's only right for us to come to check on someone she cared for dearly," Jushiro said. 

     You felt a little embarrassed. Two of the strongest captains came to the Barracks to check on you. It really did pull at your heartstrings. 

" Anything you need just let us know," Jushiro told you.

You instantly thought about what they could do for you and hopefully, they could provide you with what you needed.

" Do you know how I can quickly learn Bankai?" you questioned, a serious expression on your face. 

     The two Captains blinked. They looked at each other, wondering if it was even possible to learn Bankai quickly but then they remembered that Ichigo learned it in merely a few days. They looked back at you and nodded at the same time.

" You may want to talk to Kisuke Urahara or Yoruichi Shihoin. I know one of them helped Ichigo achieve Bankai in a few days," Shunsui informed you.

Bingo. Just what you wanted to hear. " Thanky you!" 

" Are you sure you want to go down that route? Who knows what they will have you do," Jushiro said.

You nodded your head, " If it means that I will be able to get strong enough to go toe to toe with Utachi to defeat him, then it's worth a shot," You said and bowed again, thanking them and then leaving suddenly.

Soon enough you arrived at Urahara shop. You sat in front of the man who owned the shop and he was just staring at you while fanning himself. 

" So, you want to learn Bankai. Are you sure your ready?" Kisuke asked you.

" Yes, I'm ready," you replied.

Urahara continued to stare at you, seeing the look on your face, before chuckling softly.

" Looks like You don't plan on changing your mind. Alright then, ready for intense Bankai training, (Y/N)" he questioned.

" I'm ready," you responded.

Urahara stopped fanning himself and looked quite serious," Then Let's begin,"