Chapter 5

Fortune made Sage stay at the Emperors chamber while Lynne and Rei took her to greet the Empress.
Just when the empress; Meng Meng, was satisfied that no concubine was able to beat her beauty, the guards announced Fortune's arrival. Everyone looked back to see the new competitor, Fortune. Although, carefree in life, tried not to make any mistake in her movement and greeting. She emerged majestically and everyone was dazed by her beauty.
"Who...who is she?"Meng Meng asked trying hold back her jealous state.
"Your majesty," Rei spoke up "...the emperor himself, had ordered Mistress  to come and greet your majesty." She reported and everyone started murmuring.
'The emperor himself?'
'Is such a thing possible? Where does she come from?'
'Whats her origin?'
The chitchat from the concubines got Meng Meng furious but she tried not to show it, she was also confused on why the emperor would order that.
"That's enough!" She yelled and everyone fell silent. "Since you're already here, you might as well join the rest concubines!"
"Okay!" Fortune said and got on the line.
"You two are free to leave!" Meng Meng said to Lynne and Rei but they were reluctant to leave
"Apologies you majesty," Lynne spoke up "...his majesty had ordered us to stay by Mistress no matter what."
"Why would he do that?!" Meng Meng asked loosing her cool but there was no reply 'There's something suspicious going on. The emperor hardly shows concern about any girl, why is she so special?' She thought biting her fingers lightly. "Whatever, you're all dismissed!" She waved them away and watched them as they all left in two lines.
Before leaving, Fortune took a good look at Meng Meng without any expression. Although Meng Meng was beautiful, she was too devious and she could tell with one look at her sneering face.
'Lixing Ji has really gotten a lot of beauties but why do I feel, he's not even interested?' Fortune thought as they made their way back. 'What do i even care? All am concerned about now is how to make sure my face and hair is safe, I can't let a stupid harem life ruin my normal one. Once I've gotten a solution to this time travel, I'll be up and gone!' She sighed wearily.
Rei noticed Fortunes weary sighs and decided to ask.
"Mistress, is there anything bothering you?"
"There's actually nothing." Fortune answered with a smile. "So, what's next?"
"Its a tea party the empress dowager arranged to test all the concubine of their talents." Lynne said
"A talent show?" Fortune looked at them surprised.
"Pardon me mistress but, dont you have any talents?" Rei asked and Fortune shakes her head.
"That's not it! In fact, I've got loads of talents. I just don't know which to show." she said rather disappointed.
"I suggest singing, mistress!" Lynne suggested.
"Yes! The empress dowager is very pleased with beautiful songs, you may as well impress her through this means." Rei added and Fortune put it into consideration.
'I've got a lot of ideas of what to sing. Although I don't want to imppress the empress dowager, its just so fun to show off.' Fortune chuckled at her thoughts. "Let's go, I know what to do!" With that they headed for the empress dowager hall, where the event was taking place.
On getting there, she took her seat not minding the sneers of the concubines present. However, Rei and Lynne were a bit worried seeing all the attention Fortune was getting.
"Mistress, I fear for your safety!" Rei spoke up.
"Why?" Fortune asked acting oblivious of the situation.
"Concubines in the harem are so devious that they go to any means to get what they want and I fear they will harm you so be careful." Rei warned worriedly.
"Don't worry, do you expect me to fall for such weak ladies? Am more than meet the eyes, trust me!" She winked and the girls took the situation as it was.
After a few performance, Fortune concluded that the concubines in the harem were indeed talented. She had also noticed that the empress dowager had been staring at her.
"Mistress, the empress dowager has been staring at you for a while now , am sure she is infatuated by your beauty!" Lynne reported silently.
"Shush!" Rei silenced her. "Although what Lynne said is right, she cannot be heard by others."
"Sure enough the empress dowager doesn't have bad eyes." Fortune giggled.
Just then, Lixing Ji walked into the hall unannounced and went straight to his position. He had no interest in any of this, but just to make sure Fortune didn't make a fool of herself.
On seeing Lixing Ji sitting so majestically made her heart fly. He looked so charming and irresistible compared to the other night.
'Is it just me or has he  suddenly become handsome?' She thought staring at him nonstop. 'Or is it that I never noticed?' She contemplated asher face suddenly turned red. 'What am I thinking? I don't care if he's handsome or not.'
Lixing Ji looked in her direction and she immediately looked away feeling embarrassed.
'What is this little girl thinking about?' He thought.
The imperial eunuch opened his scroll and announced the next concubine to perform. He wasn't clear about her origin and looked at the emperor for support. He sighed feeling reluctant to call her. Nevertheless, he summoned her.
"Fortune, come up and show everyone what you can do!" He yelled out of the blue.
There were two reasons behind his out call. One was to make himself clear that Fortune was with him and not to be messed with. Second was to call her out for the 'talent show'.
"She's such a beautiful girl. My son has great taste!" The empress dowager said to Lixing Ji as Fortune walked up to the arena, ready to steal the limelight.
"She is indeed a beautiful girl." Lixing Ji agreed. 'Let's just hope that this little beauty has talent.' He thought
"Greetings your majestic, I would like to sing for all to hear. Please enjoy my performance." Fortune lifted her eyes to glare at Lixing Ji who just responded with a smile.
'She's probably harbouring evil intentions. Let's see how this goes' he grinned