Chapter 17

The news that the empress had been grounded in the frozen palace because of a concubine named Fortune, made everyone extremely shocked. They were now more cautious than before and didn't even think of disturbing her. If the empress could be grounded, what would happen to mere concubines like themselves.
The empress dowager summoned Lixing Ji before he departed concerning the matter of the empress.
"Mother, I have not done anything wrong!" Lixing Ji said in his defence.
"I didn't say you did." The empress dowager said to his surprise. "I actually wanted to praise you for a job well done. That empress didn't know what she was doing and always made a fool of herself, I was wondering when you were going to take action." She laughed. "Now I know you have eyes on that girl, the only advise I have for you is to hold on to the one you love no matter what." She said and Lixing Ji bowed.
Fortune took Sage along with them to the capital. There was so much to see in the ancient times and Fortune wanted to see it all.
"I don't know why you decided to take the cat with you." Lixing Ji said
"I take Sage everywhere I go, even school. I don't see why I can't take her to see the capital." Fortune said.
"Just try to hold on to her. Its usually crowded and we don't want to loose her." He warned and she smiled in response.
On getting to the capital, Fortune saw the load of people going about their various trade.
Lixing Ji saw the spark in her eyes and cleared his throat.
"Do you like the view?"
"Like it? I love it. The view is so busy and I can see things that I don't get to see in my time." She smiled and kept looking round.
Fortune spotted a man selling candied sticks and ran over to buy some.
'She likes it. Maybe I should take her out more often' Lixing Ji thought. "Well, if you like this then, you'll surely like tonight."
Fortune turned with Candie stuffed mouth and said;
"Tonight? What's tonight?"
He looked at how silly she looked and laughed. There were traces of Candie around her mouth.
"Its the mid autumn festival tonight.
As soon as he said this, Fortunes eyes glowed. She ran past him to look at the lanterns in the lantern shade.
"She's so easy to satisfy. She's not even listening to what I have to say." Lixing Ji said to himself while shaking his head. He walked towards her. "Do you like them?"
"Their so unique. I love them." she said with a gleeful expression.
"Then wait until tonight. They will look more pretty tonight." He said.
"Why tonight? What's the special occasion?" She asked finally paying attention to him.
"Its the mid autumn festival."
"Oooh, will there be fireworks?" She asked
"Of course." He said
"Then we have to be prepared." She took out a silver tale and dropped it on the desk "Give us two please." She requested with a warm smile.
Lixing Ji watched this side of her with so much warmth. She dressed like a man but acted so childishly, but when she was a girl, she would act more like a man with so many schemes up her sleeve. She sighed and looked at her holding one of the purchased lanterns with one hand and Sage in the other.
"Come on, take yours." She laughed and ran ahead. Her lantern was in the shape of a cat, while the other one, which was for Lixing Ji, was a fish.
"Don't run too far." He warned and shook his head. He took the lantern and ran after her.
By the time he got to her, she had bought three more candied sticks. Then it hit Lixing Ji that he never gave her money. Then, how was she able to pay for all the things she was buying? He started checking himself and Fortune noticed it. She shook her head in disappointment 
"Oh dear! You're pouch filled with money has been with me since we got here and you didn't even know." She shook her head.
"But how? I mean, it was with me when we set out."
"And I took it and still, you didn't know! You disappoint me. A great ruler like you would actually not know when his money goes missing, tsk, tsk, tsk!" She tsked.
Lixing Ji, felt they she was indeed right. How could he not know when she took it away from him but, how did she do it?
That night, they waited like every other person to watch the fireworks. They stood in the lovers side which was a bit odd. It made the people suspect them to be gay. But no one came forward to ask them and just talked behind their backs. Lixing Ji on the other hand, didn't mind. He was bent on spending an unforgettable day with her. She looked so happy and he loved seeing her like that. He reached out for her hand and held onto it. Fortune turned to him. She remembered that she was dressed as a man and if people saw them like that, it would make than gossip.
"Hey, we're in public and am a man now." She said to him but he only smiled.
"What does that matter? You're still you."
"But what if people talk?" She really felt uneasy. He held her hand firmly that she could not struggle free.
"They can talk all they want. It doesn't matter, just as long as you stay by my side." He smiled warmly at her and his words touched her heart. He didn't care of people regarded him as a gay, and would stay by her side no matter what. It warmed her heart and she blushed.
While they were still stuck in their stares, the fireworks went off. Sage, who was sitting comfortably in Fortunes head, noticed this scene and turned Fortunes gaze to the fireworks.
As soon as Fortune saw the fireworks, her heart was so gleeful. She had never seen fireworks up close. She never went out late due to the fact that it was just she and her grandpa.
Watching the fireworks and holding hands with the one she loved, was like a movie. None of this had ever crossed her thoughts and she never had the fantasy of a fairytale. Right now, all she wished for was for the man standing beside her to hold on to her hand forever. But that moment didn't last, as someone yelled thief'. There was a the if on the loose and it had cause a little commotion.
Lixing Ji being so capable, chased after the thief. He let go of Fortunes hand. As soon as he let go and ran after the thief, Fortune boiled with anger. She was practically boiling.
Fortune held on to Sage tightly for fear of loosing her and followed them from behind.
Lixing Ji was having problems catching the thief. There were so many people and the thief managed to escape. Lixing Ji was disappointed and then remembered that he had left Fortune alone. He didn't decided to go back but unexpectedly caught a sight of her.
Fortune was so furious that she had gone ahead of Lixing Ji and caught the thief. She had him pinned to the ground and was mercilessly squeezing his hand. The man yelled in pain but she wouldn't stop.
"Its all thanks to you that the wonderful moment I have with the one I love was ruined. Do you think I'll let you off so easily, eh?" She squeezed tightly.
Lixing Ji couldn't help but feel pity for the thief. Sage did her part and scratched the mans face with its claws. Seeing this, Lixing Ji knew that the their couldn't let this go on knowing the aftermath of it. He quickly separated them and handed the their over to the patrol guards.
"Am sorry that its all ruined." Lixing Ji apologized whilst hugging her.
"What are you saying? I had the best time, thank you!" She kissed his cheek and smiled with the thought of the beautiful memories they now shared together.
The patrol guards stared at them weirdly and Lixing Ji scolded them and pointed out that she was a girl disguised as a man.
That day finally came to an end. Lixing Ji carried her back to the palace and on the way, she fell asleep. Lixing Ji took it upon himself to put her in bed. He simply took off her shoes and the hair clip. Every other thing was left the way it was. The maids we're asleep and he didn't want to disclose their secret outing to others. He took Sage to its special corner and lay it down. He still had his work to do and began. While he worked, his mind would flash back to the events of this night. It was so blissful and he had made Fortune so happy. He was extremely happy as well. Looking back at Fortune, he saw her smile. Her dream must have been pleasant for her to smile out.
Then, Lixing Ji remembered something. His mind started processing the words of his mother. He wanted to hold onto her no matter what. But surely, he knew that she wouldn't stay with him forever. She had her world and he had his. They were both from two different worlds and he wondered if any of them was willing to give up their world for the love that they shared. He would be willing, but will she? He didn't want to be drifted apart from her and hold onto her forever. That was the most sad thing to think about. After such a wonderful day, he decided to end his work and hold her while she slept. All that he wanted to think about now, was how to hold onto her for as long as possible.