{9} Wholesome Husbands

Tanwir Sarker

"Why are you here?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at my brother-in-law's wide grin. 

It was the early hours of a Saturday, and I intended on spending my day being productive by practicing my coding or looking through my boss's requests. Sunday would be my last day with my parents before I headed back to my regular, perfunctory life. 

Though I was only supposed to stay for a week, I extended my visit once Amira gave birth, figuring it best to stay close to her as she adjusted to her new life as a mother. My boss was very lenient when I explained all that to him, but he asked me to do some work from my parents' home if it was possible. 

A part of me missed my apartment, missed the familiar scent of laundry detergent throughout the halls, or the rowdy kids from next door. Most of all, I missed the solitude I built for myself. Although it seemed like it was a cage to a broken bird, at times it was the closest thing to a home for me. It was a place I created as my safe haven. 

When Amira left, the white walls seemed darker, her empty room vacant of her bubbly personality and the warmth she brought wherever she went. I couldn't keep her at my apartment because I was lonely. I did that to myself, and I should accept the fate I'd craved. 

Damon's bright, evergreen eyes were alive with amusement, a spark to a flame that'd burn me if I agreed to whatever nonsense he had planned. He didn't speak, just smiled. 

Leaning against the doorframe, I tried to piece the puzzle together. What is this guy up to?

There were a handful of reasons why Damon could be here. My parents left earlier today to visit Amira and Yusuf, feeling the need to dote on both of them some more since Amira was still recovering from giving birth. If my mother had it her way, she'd spent every minute of the day with her grandson. 

I assumed Damon would stay with his wife as well, but it seems that I was wrong. When he still failed to answer my question, my eyes darted back to his car, seeing a very bored Ibrahim sitting in the passenger seat, scrolling through his phone. Instantly, I straightened, realizing why Damon was here. 

Damon's grin widened. "How about a guy's day out?" he asked cheekily, knowing full well there was no way I could avoid this. 

"No," I declined. "I'm busy, and you're annoying."

"Aw, you're so bashful," teased Damon, a mischievous glint in his eyes, the green specks brightening as his smile did. He came here with a mission in his mind, a plan to check off. "Let's skip the tug-a-war this time. If you come peacefully, I won't make Ibrahim drag you out."

My frown deepened as a cold glare entered my gaze, my stance faltering. "You play dirty," I muttered, opening the door wider to allow him entrance. "Give me five minutes."

"I knew you'd see it my way," he winked before turning to his car, waving. "Ibrahim, he said yes!"

Ibrahim looked up from his phone, rolling the window down. "Damon, this isn't a proposal," he said, shaking his head. "Hurry up, already."

Damon scoffed, walking back to the car. "You're just trying to find a stable connection to watch your stocks go up," he goaded as he entered the car.

Though they were still in the driveway, their muffled remarks still flew into the air list a gust, swirling and spinning through a chaotic spree of debris and leaves. Their voices mingled into that playful aura Damon always brought wherever he went and Ibrahim's cunning retorts. 

As I stood in front of the doorway, I couldn't help but appreciate those two even more. Here I was, planning to waste away indoors and focusing on my career, and my friends decided to drag me, pull me into the real world, into their energetic lives where time was never wasted.