Charity for the Needy

The day of the charity arrived to Rosemary's displeasure and the Hallward family got ready to attend it. It was in the afternoon on a Sunday and that was when Rosemary realised something very important.

"I can't come today." She told her mother and brother in the morning over breakfast. She didn't know how she could have forgotten completely about it.

"Why not?" Diana asked.

"Oh, today is Sunday." Basil spoke, realising her reason.

"Can you please skip going to the park today?" Diana pleaded.

"I'm afraid that I cannot. If I do, my application will only get delayed."

Diana wanted to ask her daughter if she could paint something else but she knew the answer that she would get. Plus, she also knew how much effort and dedication her daughter was putting in for trying to go to France.

"Couldn't you go after the event?" He suggested. "If you leave fifteen minutes before noon, you can reach there in time."

"That's actually not a bad idea." Rosemary answered.

"Then it's settled. And Mary, please wear something nice." Diana reminded her daughter.

"I was going to wear the floral dress." She replied. It was a very simple light blue-coloured ball gown dress with flower patterns on it.

The three Hallwards made their way to the Town Hall at half past ten in the morning. They were very early for the event and that made Rosemary very bored. "Can I please leave?" She whispered to her brother.

"There is still time." He whispered back.

"There is nothing interesting to sketch here."

She had her sketchbook, the usual paper and art supplies with her while Basil simply had a paper and a charcoal pencil with him. They always took something with them because who knew when they would feel like sketching something worth capturing on paper?

"I know." He sighed. He was getting bored as well and he couldn't agree more with his sister. There really was nothing interesting to sketch there.

There was one last event left and that was the musical event. Agatha always organised them towards the end so that people went home in a pleasant mood.

And this would have been the first time the two young strangers would have met for the first time, but Rosemary was eager to leave. "Fifteen minutes." Basil informed her.

"Thank you!" She said with a huge smile on her face. "Mother, I need to go."

"There is still one event left, Rosemary." Diana told her. "Can't you stay?"

"Do you have to leave?" Agatha asked her.

"I'm afraid that I must. I have been recording this event for almost three weeks now. I cannot afford to skip today's sighting." She swung her satchel over her shoulder. "I'll see you later." She told them and headed happily towards the door.

She was going to have to run for it if she wanted to reach on time, and just as she left the Town Hall, Dorian Gray got on the stage to play piano for the final event that day.

I'm sure you are confused a little bit. So let me answer some questions that you may have in your mind.

Rosemary's one goal in life was to leave London as soon as possible and study art in France. She had applied to an university there and was preparing a painting that she could call a 'masterpiece' to send in, along with the application.

While searching for inspiration, she found herself strolling in a park with a lake inside. That day also happened to be a Sunday and when it was around noon, she found a flock of swans resting in the water. They used to come by every week and so, Rosemary decided to draw that scene for her application.

While she started sketching in the park, Basil started sketching the young and handsome gentleman who was playing a beautiful piece on the piano. Agatha had informed him that the man on stage was none other than Kelso's grandson, Dorian Gray. That made Basil want to sketch him even more.

Kelso had helped Basil with his interests in art and had offered to fund his and his sister's education, but that was too much to ask of him. Besides, he had different plans for his life.

He had finally found something that day that was worth drawing. "How I wish Rosemary was here!" He thought to himself. She would have loved to draw the man as well and they could have had a comparison towards the end.

Now, Basil had a secret from everyone in his life, except for his sister and mother. They always knew that he was different and they accepted him for who he was. They, unlike the society, were comfortable with Basil's choices.

Dorian decided to play a very familiar melody. He was surprised to be playing it so well, but of course, it was his favourite. He could never forgive himself if he made a mistake while playing that.

He was nervous at first because he wasn't used to playing in front of so many people. The room was filled and they were people whom he had never met before in his life. But he took one deep breath and played, thinking that the room was empty.

He was greeted by three women as soon as he got off the stage, one of them being the woman named Agatha, who had invited him. "I've no doubt London will hold many new friends and adventures for you." She wished Dorian.

"I hope so." He said, smiling.

"So do I." Agatha said and patted his hand. "So do I."

Basil couldn't resist meeting the lad from out of town. He had to give him his drawing, of course. When he approached the small group, Agatha saw him and introduced him to Dorian. "Oh, this is somebody you simply must meet." She said and held his arm. "This is one of our finest artists, Basil Hallward."

"Agatha, please, a humble student of beauty." Basil replied modestly and bowed his head down a little bit.

He handed Dorian the sketch. "Oh." He said as he took it from him.

"What do you think?" Basil asked.

"That's quite a likeness!" One of the women said.

"Pardon me but nobody has ever drawn me before." Dorian said. "I'm speechless."

Basil realised that Dorian was soft-spoken by nature and asked him something that had been on his mind ever since he started sketching him. "Would it be okay with you if I painted you a portrait?" He asked him. "Just like the one of your grandfather's."

"Oh you definitely should agree, Dorian." Agatha prompted. "There is no one as good as Basil in all of London. Well, maybe one, but she isn't here now." She added, referring to Rosemary.

Dorian was curious as to who the exception might be, and that curiosity was answered when Basil spoke. "I apologise. My sister had to leave for some urgent work."

"I look forward to meeting her then." Dorian said, but he was looking forward to meeting only one person - the lady from the library.