Helping

Days passed by and weeks went by since Rosemary and Dorian last met each other. Since then, they only heard about what was happening to the other - well, only one of them cared to do so.

Rosemary spent her time teaching the children as much as possible and awaited the letter to come that would seal her fate. The painting was not complete in her opinion, but the airs of London were suffocating as such.

Ever since the night she found him in that place with Henry of all people, she knew that she couldn't trust anyone but herself and her family. She did not leave the house at all since then and sulked silently about how she could have been so blind.

Dorian on the other hand had completely fallen under the influence of Lord Henry and was not regretting anything. By the second day, he did not even remember who Rosemary Hallward was. Henry made sure of that when he made his move on the chess board.

He was the King and Dorian was his Pawn. He made his moves very carefully ever since he could sense that the Queen of the other side had feelings for the young man. His plan worked perfectly and fit into place when he found Dorian sulking in his house. "What is wrong with you?" He asked him.

"Nothing." Dorian sniffed.

"Oh for everyone's sake!" Henry groaned. "Women are like leaves. They come and go just like the seasons. That doesn't give us any reason to be unhappy about it." He handed the young man a cigar.

Dorian had completely fallen under his spell and hedonistic influence, not thinking for himself or wanting to fight for the one that he truly loved. He had forgotten all the little moments that they shared and the fact that he cared to write her a melody.

Henry burnt the music sheets as if they were of no value. He changed every aspect of the young man's life in a matter of a few weeks because by the end of the first month, Dorian cared about nothing but himself and his painting. Even after seeing it rot in his attic, he continued to not put his mind to his actions.

One fine day arrived in the young woman's life with happy news from her friend. "Celia is ready to be a part of the society." Alice Radley informed Diana Hallward.

"Oh, I'm so happy! Congratulations, dear!" She embraced her friend into a hug.

"I was wondering if Rosemary could help us with the party arrangements. Celia is feeling very bored and isolated."

"Of course. I'll tell her right away."

Diana made her way to her daughter's room, only to find her staring out the window with a paintbrush in her hand. She did not even notice that the door had creaked open and that there was someone else in the room.

"Mary?" She whispered to not startle her.

"Yeah?" Rosemary turned around, her eyes puffy and red.

"Alice came by with good news." She informed her.

"That's great!" She exclaimed. "I'm truly happy for her."

"She did ask for one request though." Diana revealed. "She wants you to keep Celia company tomorrow before the party."

"Mother..."

"You need to get out of the house sometime, Rosemary." She sat down next to her daughter. "I know that your heart is broken but you've completely abandoned your life."

"I have no life here."

"But don't you think that you should at least pretend? Because Celia looks up to you. All those children you teach look up to you. Even me, for that matter." Rosemary looked up at her mother. "I sometimes wonder how your young heart can take so much!"

"Really?" She smiled for the first time.

"Really." Diana nodded. "The letter will come by, but until then, pretend. Pretending has always got you to love Mathematics. Why not try it with life?"

And so, Rosemary got dressed up and was going to head out the front door when she saw her brother sitting with his hand over his head. "Brother, are you okay?" She asked, entering the living room.

"What?" He looked up at her. "Oh, it's nothing."

"Something is wrong. What is it?" She sat next to him.

"You don't want to know." He sighed.

"Oh." That was all she said because she knew who it concerned. "I'll be at the Radley's if you need me."

"Of course. Have fun."

The day of the party arrived and the entire mansion of the Radleys was filled with chatter. Rosemary helped Celia get ready and also helped Agatha with the arrangements, eventhough she wanted to leave immediately after knowing who was going to be attending.

"Will you stay?" Celia pleaded. "I don't really know anyone and having you will give me some...hope."

Rosemary felt guilt wash over her. "Of course. I won't leave until after." She promised.

She spent the entire time with Agatha and helped the waiters get the drinks right, which helped take her mind off of things for some time and she was eternally grateful for that. She missed Victor but knew that she would meet him the next day at the library for their match.

She was forced to talk to some people but she didn't mind it. She was going to continue pretending to enjoy herself for as long as it was needed until she could pack her bags.

"The flower arrangements near the front doors need more water. They're drooping down and it doesn't look good." She informed one of the helpers.

"Yes, of course."

"The wines need to go out every three minutes exactly." She reminded the waiters as the timer went ding!

"You should be an organiser, Rosemary." Agatha praised her.

"Oh, I will lose my mind, Agatha." They laughed. "I always admire you for doing it but I am the worst person for it."

"You're trying to undermine yourself, but I can see that you will be perfect for it."

"Thank you. You say that now since the kitchen hasn't been burnt down." She made a joke once again.

It was almost nine o'clock at night when she noticed that something was wrong. "Agatha, have you seen Celia anywhere?"

"I haven't, dear. I'm sure that she is with Alice."

Rosemary nodded but couldn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong and that's when Alice entered the room asking the same question that she had. "Rosemary, have you seen Celia? I've been trying to find her for the past fifteen minutes."

"I'll help you." She kept the bottle of wine on the kitchen table before heading out with Lady Radley.