The End

A year. That's how long it took for Rosemary to settle in Paris. She had been the top of her class every semester she spent there and was given a job within the campus, even though the working of women was considered abnormal, but times were changing. The professors loved her good nature and informed that the artist in her was natural and that she should never suppress that side of her.

Within that time, Dorian learnt the art of cooking from Mrs. Poppy, who was the owner of the cafe on top of which they lived in a small apartment. He went to church every single day and asked for forgiveness. He also thanked God for letting Rosemary back into his life, grateful even. He did his best to forget about the month of misery and was faithful to Rosemary.

"Dorian?" She called out to him as she entered their apartment after a long day.

"Welcome back!" He greeted her, stirring the pan of soup before it got burnt. "How was your day?"

"It was good. Professor Jean taught me the skills of reverse brushing. It is a little hard but I'll learn it soon."

"I'm sure you will." He kissed her forehead.

"He figured out the different way that I hold my pen and brushes and wondered how the flair, as he called it, came onto the canvas." She chuckled thinking about his curious face. "What are we having?" She asked, removing her scarf.

"Soup and bread - your favourite." He smiled. "Why don't you go sit down? I'll be there in one second."

"Okay." She turned around to seat herself in her spot at the table when she asked, "Is it a special day that I somehow forgot?" She was referring to the table that was set up with a candle and a rose.

"Rosemary." He spoke, making her turn around.

"Dorian!" She exclaimed, dropping the keys of the house that she was holding.

He was on one knee, holding up a ring at her. "Will you-"

"Yes!"

"You didn't even let me finish!" He laughed.

"Yes yes yes!" She put her arms around his neck and kissed him. "Wait, I need to ask my-" She started, referring to her mother and brother.

"I already did." He revealed.

"When?"

"I sent them a note and asked for Diana's blessing."

"Oh...I can't believe this."

"Here." He took her left hand in his right hand and slid the ring into her finger. "Diana did request one thing though."

"She wants us to have the wedding in London, doesn't she?" She guessed, knowing her mother very well.

"Yes."

And so, the happy couple made their way to London on the recent train to London, excited to announce their engagement to their beloved ones.

"I hope Basil doesn't murder me." He prayed.

"I won't tell him anything about your intentions before." She zipped her mouth.

"We are a broken pair, aren't we?" He sighed.

"Well, nothing can come between us, my love." She smiled.

Everyone was very happy for them, though it took some time for them to believe that Dorian had really changed. Some people talked about his split personality behind his back but he did not have a care for it. He was happy with his life.

The Hallwards had accepted him into their lives and he got to know about Basil and Victor's engagement as well. He was proud of them and admired them with certainty. He had a family and nothing was going to let his mind astray, especially not a creep like Henry Wotton.

"Can I request something?" He asked Rosemary one day at the park where they were planning to hold the reception.

"Of course."

"I want to look at the portrait."

"Dorian..." She started to protest.

"Please?" He requested. "I want to see it one more time before we go back to our home."

Rosemary smiled at the last word and understood why he wanted to look at the painting. "I'll come with you."

"I won't dare to go without you." He smiled.

And so, on a sunny and bright Sunday morning, Dorian Gray and Rosemary Hallward borrowed some of Mr. David's time to accompany them to Kelso's mansion. The mansion looked old yet it stood still as if time had no effect on it.

Rosemary held onto Dorian's arm, reminding him that she was right next to him no matter what happened. He smiled at her but stared at the building like he had at the beginning of this story.

"Let's go." He said, steadying himself for what he was going to face.

He opened the front door with the master key and opened the house to outside air for the first time in a year. The furnitures were covered with white sheets of cloth, the piano lay silent but gathered dust.

"Do you want to look around or..." She started to suggest but knew the answer.

"Attic." He swallowed. "Let's get it over with."

They climbed the staircase, their hands tracing the pathway as always. They reached the door that would take them to the attic floor and once they were there, they walked into the shadows of the door that awaited them.

Dorian stood with his hand on the doorknob. "I'm here." She told him.

Taking a deep breath, he opened the door and walked into the dusty old attic. Sunlight was coming through the small holes from the drapes that covered the windows and enlightened the room for the eyes to adjust.

Dorian gazed at the red drape that was covering the portrait that had once been him. He walked slowly towards it while Rosemary observed him carefully. His hands trembled as they touched the soft surface of the sheet.

He pulled it off. "Oh!" He breathed out in relief.

"Dorian!"

"Oh God!"

"The painting is back to normal." She told him even though they could see it. It felt too good to be true but it was true. It was a miracle.

"This is all because of you." He cupped her face.

"I didn't do anything." She said modestly.

"Yes, you did." He persisted. "Thank you." He looked at her gratefully. "I love you so much."

"I love you too."