A Magical Melody

That night, Rosemary and Victor had their game in the drawing room of the mansion as they usually did every week. Dorian was busy with some work, or he would have been observing the game.

Victor had taken out most of the Pawns from Mary's side. "That-" She wanted to argue but she knew that Victor was playing by the rules.

He was playing the black side while Rosemary was playing the white side. Both of them had to choose their moves very carefully as the other was playing their favourite sides.

Mary took out Victor's Rook and thought that she could checkmate the King but Victor took out her Bishop. "This is so not fair!" She exclaimed and stood up from the couch as she did. That was the third attempt at defeating Victor and she had lost that one as well.

"I told you to prepare for loss." He reminded her, feeling her anxiety.

"The game's not over yet." She informed him, trying to concentrate more.

"Alright, let's continue then."

The game was giving Rosemary a headache. She had to win that week because she had been losing the past two games. "Ha!" She said as she took our Victor's Queen.

"It's the King that you should worry about." He reminded her.

"Yes." She nodded and thought about the moves that he would make and started deceiving her moves.

Victor was smart. He knew Rosemary's plan but he did not realise that she was using new tactics - you only win by losing.

"And...check." He said as he had cornered the White King.

"You fell into the trap." She smiled.

"What?" He asked, seeing the sudden change in Rosemary's mood.

"You didn't even notice this Pawn here." She said as she moved it. "Checkmate."

"What!" He exclaimed. "Now, this is not fair!"

"All is fair in love and war."

"Well this is war then."

"What happened?" Dorian asked, entering the room.

"She won, sir. Quite admirably, I might add." Victor informed him.

"Until next time, partner." Rosemary said and put her hand forward.

"This is not over." He stated. "Until next week." They shook hands.

"Victor, would you mind making all of us a cup of tea?" Dorian asked politely. "It has been a really long day and I'm sure that you are tired as well. You can take the rest of the evening off."

"Of course. Thank you, Mr. Gray." Victor got up and headed towards the kitchen.

"Rosemary?" Dorian called out her name as she packed the chess set.

"Yes?" She asked, turning around.

"There is something that I want to show you." He said. "Would you mind accompanying me to the first floor?" He put his hand forward and looked more nervous than usual.

Rosemary was curious as to what it could have been. "Of course." She got up and patted the crease on her dress. She took Dorian's hand and they climbed the staircase to the first floor, where a very important thing awaited them.

"What is it?" She asked him on the way.

"A surprise." He answered.

Rosemary gasped as she saw Dorian sit to play the piano. "I know that you missed the function that day." He said. "And, well, I created a piece. For you." He pressed his left hand and played the C chord.

Rosemary sat down on the chair near him and was trying not to let the overwhelmness get to her. Dorian was playing her his favourite melody. Once he finished, he took a deep breath and then turned to face her. Rosemary was looking at her hands and two drops of tears fell down from her eyes.

"Good God, Rosemary!" Dorian sat down on the floor and looked at her.

"It's very beautiful." She wiped her eyes.

"Then why are you crying?" He asked, concerned if he had crossed a line.

"Because this feels surreal." She inhaled sharply.

"Please don't cry."

"I'll try not to." She smiled and took his hands in hers. "Thank you. Truly."

"I named it after you." He told her. "In honour of the children getting accepted into the orphanage."

"What?" She asked.

"I sent them a letter on behalf of the entire estate to help you out."

"Oh!" She closed her mouth with both of her hands.

I hope you don't mind-" By the time Dorian finished his sentence, Rosemary pulled him into a hug.

"Thank you so much!" She exclaimed, tearing up even more.

"Uh, y-you're welcome." He said and was about to hug her back when she let him go.

"I don't know how I can ever repay you."

"You don't have to. It was my duty to help you out." He said, wanting to ask her something but wondered if it was too soon. But he made up his mind to ask her when she interrupted him with a question.

"Would you like to accompany me to the docks tomorrow? We were planning to feed everyone down there." She asked him.

"O-of course." He nodded, taken aback.

He thought that maybe he could ask her what he wanted the next day but he knew that he had to get it out soon. Seeing her everyday was agonizing enough because his heart beat faster than it usually did when he was around her. He was always nervous and couldn't talk properly without stammering. He just had to get it out.

"I'll have to leave now, I'm afraid. The piece was absolutely beautiful. Thank you very much for everything." She said as she got up from her seat.

Now, Rosemary wanted to tell Dorian something as well and that was the perfect moment to do it but she was afraid that it was too soon to do so. They needed to get to know each other a little more. She needed to know who he was before she could get it out.

"I'll see you tomorrow." He said.

Rosemary turned around. "I'll see you tomorrow." She repeated.

The next day made all the difference in their lives.