Tea

As soon as Rosemary reached the front doors of the mansion, Victor came running outside and informed her to meet Dorian in the backyard by the lake. "He had us working as soon as he came back."

"He is outdoors?" She asked him. "Isn't it supposed to rain?"

"Yes, he is." Victor said. "I don't know about rain but I do know that he seems really tense. I hope that everything is alright."

Even Victor could sense that something was up. That only made her even more curious. First, it was her brother. Then it was Victor's restless behaviour. "Why don't you calm down? I'm sure everything is fine." Rosemary assured him.

"I'll go do that and I'm trying not to panic." He said. "I need water." Victor took a deep breath and headed for the kitchen.

As Rosemary made her way down the steps towards the lake, she saw Dorian pacing the boundary. There was a small table that was already set with biscuits and tea set. Clearly, something was up.

Dorian's mansion had a big lake in the backyard that he owned. There were few ducks that were swimming and a lot of leaves had fallen over the surface of the water. Victor always kept food for the birds nearby and fed them every day without fail. It was a very beautiful scene to look at and Rosemary wondered if she should paint it someday.

Dorian turned around and headed for the table once he saw Rosemary approaching. "Good afternoon, Mr. Gray." She said.

"Good afternoon, Miss Hallward. Would you care to join me for tea?" He asked and pointed to the table.

"Why, thank you!" It was just a little joke that ran between them when they greeted each other very formally.

Dorian pulled the chair for he to sit. "Thank you." She said and he sat down on the other side. "This is a very beautiful lake. I'm wondering if I should capture its beauty on paper. But that's not why I am here. You wanted to talk something with me. I'm here now."

"I'm sure that you know about the rumours behind mine and Kelso's relationship." He said as both of them started drinking tea.

"I heard that Kelso was abusive to you when you were a child, which is why you decided to leave London." She told what she knew as she set her cup down.

"It is true." He said and Rosemary couldn't help but start to tear up a little bit. "He used to lock me in the attic. I don't know how much time would pass but I think that I have spent almost an entire day there without anything for survival. Kelso would come in with a belt in his hand and would beat me with it."

"He would..." He shuddered. "He blamed me for the accident that killed my parents but not me. We were driving through the countryside on the first day of Fall. There was a stag that came in front of us and my father turned the wheel. It hit a tree and...I don't remember anything after that."

Rosemary kept quiet until he was finished. She could feel that he wanted to get out the things that haunted him. She knew that it must have been very hard and wanted to hug him and make sure to tell him that he wasn't alone, but she was worried about him breaking down.

"Kelso was an absolute monster!" Dorian's voice was filled with hatred. "He was a terrible monster once he entered this house. He asked everyone to keep quiet about his wrongdoings, which is why not many people know about me."

"Oh, Dorian!" She exclaimed once he paused. "I am so sorry. I wish that I could turn back time and stop it. You don't deserve it."

"Thank you, Rosemary." He said. "I've always wanted to open up about it to someone but I never could." Dorian took Rosemary's hands in his. "Thank you. Very much."

"Of course. Dorian." She put her hand over his. "You can always talk to me. Or Basil. You can trust us."

"I just had to get that out before..." He closed his eyes, the fear getting to him.

"I'm here, Dorian." She cupped his face with her right hand.

"Thank you." He breathed out. "Thank you for hearing me out and for being patient."

"Do you want to talk more about it? I promise that it will help." She suggested.

"Not now. I actually called you here for a different purpose." He took his hands away. "Would you like a biscuit?" He asked and offered her one.

"Thank you." She said, taking one from the plate. "If that wasn't what you wanted to tell me, what is? The suspense is killing me." She said, trying to make him smile and succeeding in it.

"It is? Good." He said. "It is something that needs a build up to it. I spent the last hour going over what I wanted to say; what I exactly wanted to say."

"Okay..."

"I was not expecting to hear you say that you didn't like living in London. I know that it must be a hard place to be in but I think that you should know what I'm about to tell you before you decide whether to stay in London or not." He said. "It is very important to me that you know all your options and that you realise that you are not completely alone here."

"Dorian, you really are scaring me now."

"I'm speaking very quickly, aren't I?" He laughed. "Silly me. I'll try to calm down. I'm just really nervous."

"You don't have to be. I'm just me." She shrugged.

Dorian looked into her eyes and could swear that his heart melted. "You're not just anyone, Rosemary. Never think that. I know that you have almost finished your painting and that it is your dream to study in France but I need you to know this...that...you are everything that I've ever searched for and everything that I want to live for."

She took a deep breath in. "Dorian, what are you saying?" She asked, hearing what she had always wanted to hear from someone but she was not expecting it at that moment.

"Rosemary..." He started. "I wish to court you."