Mysterious Ways

Fan and Tennis Ball emerged from the stairwell into Golf Ball's underground factory. "Wow!" Fan exclaimed. "This place is so... BIG!" He shouted the last word so that it echoed. "Much bigger than it looks in the videos!" He took a sniff. "And it smells like... lavender? Man, there's a lot of things the videos don't show you."

"Yeah, the smell in here isn't always great, so Golf Ball likes to cover it up with lavender incense." TB clammed up. "Er, don't tell anyone else I said that! Golf Ball would hate it if people knew she likes lavender."

Fan did the gesture of zipping his mouth shut, but he was already thinking of posting it on his blog.

They reached the bottom of the stairs and Tennis Ball pulled out a cardboard box labelled "Misc. electronics." He rustled around in there for a bit while Fan admired the factory. "I'm surprised most of the stuff in here survived the lavapocalypse of episode 14."

Tennis Ball pulled out something that looked like a wall teleporter, then tossed it away. "Golf Ball's a good scientist and mechanic. Her creations are usually super durable. Ah! Found it!" Tennis Ball pulled out an iPhone charger, then glanced at Fan's MePhone. "Uh, it might not fit."

"Only one way to find out." Fan snatched the charger from TB, plugged one end into the wall, and the other into his phone. After sitting there for a minute in awkward silence, the Meeple logo appeared on Fan's phone, and it turned on. "Yes!" He grabbed his phone to make sure everything was alright.

"While you check... whatever social medias you have, I'm going to go see if I can find a way to reopen that portal." Without looking, Fan gave a thumbs up and TB walked off.

Fan scrolled through his list of apps. He was about to check his blog when he spotted his contacts. Hmm, he thought. I wonder...

--------------------

A warning flashed on TV's screen, advising Golf Ball not to move the pile rubble she was about to move, as shifting it would cause more of the unstable roof to collapse. She quickly stepped away and moved to a different pile. "Thanks, TV."

Looking around, they had made impressive progress. About three fourths of the rubble had been cleared out, and most of the shelves had been put back, but there was still quite a mess on the ground. Test Tube had gone to borrow a broom from someone to sweep away all the dust that covered everything. At this rate, we'll be finished cleaning up by tomorrow, she calculated. Then she stood up and bonked her head on the tree embedded in the wall. "Ow!" She rubbed her head with her foot. I forgot that was there...

Out of the corner of her eye, GB spotted Teardrop climbing back in through the hole in the wall and beginning to pick up large pieces of broken glass. After a moment of internal debate, she walked over to her and spoke. "Hey," Golf Ball said. TD ignored her. "Look, I... I know I haven't treated you the best in the past. And you're probably not the biggest fan of me. So I was wondering... why are you helping us out, if that's the case?"

Teardrop dumped the broken glass on the counter and started making hand gestures. "I don't know sign language, TD," Golf Ball said. TD rolled her eyes, grabbed a relatively clean sheet of paper and a pen, and wrote something. The faster this place is cleaned, the sooner I get to go home, it said. Golf Ball sighed. "Yeah, I want to go home, too..."

Teardrop carefully picked up the shards of glass again and walked over to the trash can. "Well, for what it's worth, Teardrop, I..." The words were hard to say. She had very little practice. "I wanted to say thank you. For helping out." Teardrop dumped the shards in the trash and turned to face GB. "I really appreciate the extra pair of hands... especially since, you know, I don't have any."