Crystalline Chaos

It had been a week since Test Tube opened the initial doorway into her universe. She, Golf Ball, TV, and Teardrop had been diligently working on the portal cannon to get it working again. On the other side, Fan and the remainder of ABNTT had also been attempting to get their portal device to open up to the correct dimension. So far, they hadn't had any luck.

"Well?" Fan asked as Tennis Ball stepped out of the newly-made portal for what seemed like the millionth time. In the background, Grassy was doodling something on a piece of paper.

"Still not the right place," TB sighed, exasperated. "This one wasn't even like Earth - there was almost nothing but an endless yellow-white gradient, as far as the eye could see. And the few objects who were there were ruled by some green triangle called 'Oodle the Doodle.'" TB untied the rope around his middle. "I'm getting really tired of this."

"Me too," Basketball said. "The fact that we're unable to reach the one place we're trying to go seems off.."

Blocky shrugged. "Well, aren't there an infinite number of universes or something? It could take forever to open a portal to the correct one."

"Thanks for the confidence boost," Robot Flower said sarcastically.

"I'm just sayin'!"

TB walked over to where Grassy was lying and looked over his shoulder. "Whatcha drawing there?"

Grassy proudly presented his drawing. It consisted of all the countless portals that had opened up in the underground factory during the past week.

TB smiled at him, then silently sighed again when Grassy turned away. Where are you, Golf Ball? he thought.

--------------------

The sport globule in question was currently just about to test the portal cannon. "Ready?" she called to Test Tube, safety goggles on her face.

"Ready!" Test Tube called back. Teardrop, who was standing in the back of the room with TV, gave a thumbs up. Golf Ball yanked downwards on the large lever that was attached to the side of the cannon while Test Tube typed in the coordinates to GB's factory on her computer. The machine began to hum, quietly at first, but it quickly grew louder. It vibrated gently, and electricity began to crackle around some parts of it. Finally, after a few seconds of noise, the machine shot out a beam of light, which began to coalesce into a swirling portal.

"Yes!" Golf Ball cried. Test Tube did a fist pump, and TD smiled.

But the lights in the lab flickered, then went out. The cannon shut down, and the swirls of light quickly dissipated. "No, no no!" Test Tube cried. She ran over to the fuse box, opened it up, and began flipping switches. Nothing happened. "How could the power short out again?"

TV turned his screen brightness to full so that he illuminated the room. Test Tube sat down on the ground and put her face in her hands. Golf Ball walked over to her, but before she could say anything, a new voice rang out. "This place is cool!"

Everyone turned their heads to look at the hole in the wall. Pillow, the new arrival, was moving her eyes everywhere in awe to take in the lab. "You know, I'm something of a scientist myself, and I must say, I like this lab. What are you guys doing in here?"

"That's confidential!" Golf Ball barked. "Now, if you'll excuse us, we have a laboratory to jump start."

Pillow didn't say anything. Her eyes flicked over to the box of crystals on the counter, then stopped. She fixed her gaze on it. "Hey... I've seen these before. They were in your factory, Golf Ball!"

GB went through several emotions at once. Anger came first, when she heard that Pillow had invaded her factory, but curiosity of what Pillow meant overcame the anger, and finally, curiosity gave way to realization.