Prologue

Wellston:

Remi worriedly paced around the busy schoolyard. Any minute now, he will show up, and although she prepared the best she could, equipping herself with battle marks and rolled-up sleeves, Remi could not shake her growing anxiety. Looking towards a nearby building, she recognized her two colorful friends, Blyke and Isen, standing on the rooftop.

'Good,' the pink-haired girl thought, 'At least those two are in position!' Remi started to grow restless as these few minutes started to feel like hours. 'Remember, all I gotta do is take off his-'

"Oh my gosh! I-it's Joker!"

"What's he doing here?!"

Remi was broken out of her thoughts and immediately whipped around and was met with amber eyes, which blazingly glowed through a signature black mask. "Everyone, this is gonna get messy!" Remi yelled to the panicking students around her, "Get to somewhere safe!"

The students took her advice and hastily made their way out of the courtyard and inside the building, where they watched the upcoming battle with anticipation. Remi glared at her masked opponent, and although she was startled by Joker's sudden appearance, her anxiety slowly melted away.

"Alright, then... Bring it on!" She challenged as her eyes started glow orange and blue electricity built up around her body. Not a second later, Joker charged towards her, throwing a punch she was barely able to dodge. Remi grabbed his extended arm and sent volts throughout his entire body, which only stunned him for a moment before he switched to a more defensive-based phase of his ability.

Upon doing so, he quickly slammed his fist into the ground, causing Remi to jump away. 'Isn't that Zeke's ability?!' Remi knew of Joker's power; the ability to manipulate auras. It allowed him to copy his opponent's ability and enhance the 'stats' of it. 'He must've ambushed him just before coming here.' Not long after, black electricity started to surround Joker as he stood in a battle pose, awaiting the next chance to strike.

He lifted his left arm high and generated dark bolts in his palm, then shot them towards Remi. 'I need to stall him for long as I can so Blyke and Isen can have time to wear him down!' She managed to dodge the black lightning and briskly got back into stance.

Joker switched back to his offensive-phase and quickly charged at Remi, just as a brilliant blue light began to surround his body and ripple him apart, whisked away from the battleground. "Wh-!" was all Remi heard before Joker was completely gone.

'W-what on earth was that?!' Remi spun around, attempting to locate Joker. 'Did he seriously get his hands on a teleportation ability?!' Her eyes widen with dread as she faced Blyke and Isen, fearing Joker already located the powerful duo. But instead, the two boys were also scanning the area for the masked figure.

Filled with worry, Remi rapidly made her way in front of the lookout building. She cupped her hands around her mouth called out: "Isen! Can you sense him anywhere?!"

The orange-haired boy closed his eyes and focused, trying to use his ability to locate their opponent. "No," Isen called back, "He just... disappeared!"

Remi was startled. There was no way Joker would abandon a battle like that, especially one where he had a clear upper hand! 'He has to be here somewhere!' Remi began to search around the courtyard, thinking of any possible way Joker could bypass the hunter's reach. 'Did he suppress his own aura to avoid detection or somet-'

Suddenly, the same blue light began to surround her as well! Remi looked back to Blyke and Isen as terror filled every inch of her body. The pink-haired girl was filled with a never-ending blue, only after she heard the distressed cries of her friends and fellow students inside the nearby buildings.

***

A/N: Hopefully I did a good job writing out Remi v. Joker! I had to cut it down much farther than I intended to at first, but I felt as though it would've been cleaner and Joker would not be overpowered with all four of the abilities he will gain throughout the battle. See you in Chapter 1!