Chapter 5: Shrines (Part 1)

Hyrule -  Day of  the Disappearance:

"If you jump off this damn thing, I will not hesitate to leave your broken body in that ditch."

The innocent pinkette flinched so far she almost did fall off the newly-risen tower. After regaining her balance, she heatedly replied,  "I-I wasn't going to jump! Just, y'know, looking for a quick way down." The girl noticed Link gesturing for her to come closer, so she carefully walked over to the pointed-ear boy. "Oh hey! John, get over here!" There was a staircase of rough, brownish-beige platforms leading down the tower.

Link hopped down through a hole in the floor onto the first balcony. After grabbing on a spiral railing to stop his stumbling, he signaled for the others to do the same. Remi swiftly followed suit, with John slightly lagging behind. The three carefully made their way down the tower; the blue light radiating off the tower pulsated, as their hearts continued to race from the far, roaring malice.

When John finally had the soft, much warmer ground below his feet, he fell to his knees out of relief. His eyes began to dim as he tried to relax from today's events, but unfortunately to no avail.

"Oh-ho!" the trio looked over to see the utterly ridiculous sight of the old hermit gliding his way over to them. Upon landing, the man continued, "My, my... it seems we have quite an enigma here."

"Yeah we do, what the fu- AGH." John was sharply cut off by the pinkette slamming her heel on his foot, causing him to gasp in pain.

The old merely smiled at the two before looking up. "This tower and others just like it have erupted across the land, one after another. It's almost as though... a long-dormant power has awoken quite suddenly." The old man now stared at Link, "If you do not mind me asking... did anything... odd occur while you were atop that tower?"

The knight hesitated before softly muttering out, "I heard a voice." Remi and John both stared deeply at the pointed ear boy, not recalling hearing anything like that.

"Well now! A voice, you say?" The old man excitedly answered, "And did you happen to recognize this mysterious voice?"

Link stared blankly at the old hermit in front of them, almost refusing to answer. "It seems I will have to earn your trust as well. I suppose that is understandable." He then turned towards the distance, gesturing towards the faraway castle, "I suppose you all have caught sight of that horrible atrocity enshrouding the castle."

"Um... what is that... thing exactly?" Remi nervously asked.

"That, my dear... is Calamity Ganon. One hundred years ago, that vile brought the kingdom of Hyrule to ruin. It appeared suddenly and destroyed everything in its path. So many innocent lives were lost in its wake. For that century, the very symbol of our kingdom, Hyrule Castle, has managed to contain that evil. But... just barely. It's slowly building its strength for the moment to unleash its blight on the land once again. And it seems as though that moment is fast approaching..."

The old man gestured back to the trio, who returned his gaze. "I must ask you all: do you attend to make your way to the castle?"

"What?! You're not being serious, are you?!" John roared. "You cannot expect me to even think about going near that death trap." They were just high school students, how could they even stand a chance against a kingdom toppling beast?

Link and Remi remained silent, and the hermit just sighed to himself, "I had a feeling you would say that." John looked away annoyed, as the man before him carried on, "Here, on this isolated plateau, we are surrounded on all sides by steep cliffs, with no way down. If you were to try to jump off, well... no death could be more certain. Or more foolish," the old man had a sudden twinkle in his eye, "Of course, if you had a paraglider like mine, that would be quite a different story."