Chapter 4: Promises

Wellston - The Day of the Disappearance:

"Blyke... Isen," Professor Vaughn looked at the boys before him, "Thank you for bringing this to my attention. You are dismissed."

The pair bowed before the headmaster, then turned to exit his office.

Tat-Tat.

Tat-Tat.

Tat-Tat.

SLAM!

"Sir." Vaughn looked over to his apple-loving secretary, Keene, "How do plan on dealing with the aftermath of this... incident? The influence both John and Remi have on the school is undeniable. Rumors spread like wildfire, and once word gets out that two of the most powerful students are gone, Wellston will fall into chaos!"

Neither of them denied that the student body will piece together the Joker's real identity. 'But how will they react to this information?' Vaughn silently questioned. He took a slow breath before responding, "The remaining royals will find a way to settle the school."

"But what about the authorities? Surely they will find out about this, considering how closely they've been watching the school." The blonde secretary questioned before taking a bite out of the apple in his hand.

"Let them come," Vaughn leaned back on his desk, arms crossed, "I'll deal with them."

***

As the day began to end, Arlo carried himself to his dimly lit apartment, as he sent a text message to his blue-haired friend, Elaine:

"How is Seraphina doing?"

The girl responded almost immediately:

"About at good as you expect, I suppose. She hasn't left her room since you brought her here."

The blond leaned forward on his couch and ran a hand through his hair. After breaking the news of John's disappearance to the former Ace, the girl was too petrified to even blink. Arlo has never seen her look so broken in his life. It was... frightening.

He slowly moved his hand down to his face and rubbed his solid-blue eyes out of exhaustion. He stood up from his seat and turned off the lamp next to him. He stalked off to bed, seriously hoping this was just an awful dream.

***

Arlo made his way back to campus the following day, yawning with every other step he took. Ugh... The students gazed at the King as he passed them through the breezeway, loudly muttering to themselves.

"Oh god- Is he oka...?"

"Didn't you hear?! Remi disa..."

"Jeez, who knew our King can that depres...?"

Upon hearing this, the blond glared towards the noisy onlookers, who immediately cowered in fear. 'How pathetic...' Arlo was not supposed to an emotional king, and he refused to allow today to be an excuse. He shook his head in hopes of shaking away his fatigue, which instead made him yawn even deeper.

The day marched on, and the worries of Keene proved to be true: Rumors spread across the student body, as speculation began about Joker's true identity, targeting any student that was absent from the school. The press club, eager to cash in on these rumors, began to frantically question anyone they could for information, hoping for the next big article.