Chapter 1: Gone

Wellston - Moments before...

"Ah! There you are!" Seraphina glanced behind her and saw Holden struggling to breathe. "I've been looking all over for you..."

"Hm? What do you need?" Sera questioned the panting boy. As far as she was aware, Holden only ever approached the former god-tier a handful of times. Why would he be looking for her now?

"Quick! I need you to come with me!" Holden exclaimed, as he stood up straighter. "Arlo really needs you to see something in the East Courtyard! I have never seen him so panicked before!"

'Arlo again? Is this about that whole Joker thing?' Seraphina thought to herself. The boy in question tried bringing this up before, accusing her powerless best friend, John, of being the man behind the mask.

"Please, Seraphina! It'll only take a bit of your time!" Holden pressed further. Whatever Arlo wanted, it clearly rocked Holden to his core. Finally, after a moment of consideration, Sera nodded to the bluenette.

"Fine then. Lead the way."

The duo rushed down the unusually empty hallway, as many students cried out through the rows of windows at the end, completely blocking the events unfolding. Something about Remi and Joker... 'Perhaps those two were fighting?'  Holden quickly opened up the crowd and gestured for Seraphina to go through. She was needed down there, but Holden understood he wasn't.

As she reached the eastern courtyard, the magenta-haired teen noticed that Joker and Remi were not there at all! Only Arlo, Blyke, and Isen. The far trio slowly looked towards the girl as she quickly approached them, dread filling their bodies.

Arlo, out of the three, was the most troubled by this predicament. The blonde was casually passing by in the hallways with Holden when he looked out the window and saw Remi being surrounded by a radiating light, then just... vanishing! He immediately sent his blue-haired friend to go and grab Sera, then hastily jumped out the nearest window, almost racing with Blyke and Isen to see who can reach the other first.

"Seraph-" The King got choked up as soon as he started. He couldn't tell her, he just couldn't! As much as he found the (pretend?) cripple very annoying and disrespectful, he couldn't just tell her that he might be dea-

"What do you need, Arlo?" His growing worries were interrupted by Seraphina, who clearly did not appreciate being dragged from her normal routine for seemingly nothing.

'Okay, okay, calm down Arlo. Just say it, it won't be as hard as you think.' And granted, he was right. It was so much harder. He managed to steady his voice and reply, "Seraphina... As Remi and the Joker were fighting... the two of the might've-"

"REMI AND JOHN MIGHT BE DEAD, SERAPHINA-" Isen shrieked, his eyes filled with tears as he collapsed onto his knees, his face slamming against his palms. Blyke had his fists clenched and his eyes shut tight, clearly fighting back tears of his own.

"Wh-what do you mean, Isen?" Sera was very taken aback. 'Th-there's no way that's true, right? They're no where to be seen!' Sera desperately thought to herself before continuing, "P-Plus, the people up there were talking about Remi and Joker, John has nothing to do with this!"

"Sera... I've told you before," Arlo began, the lump in his throat clearing, "John is Joker. And he is... gone."

***
Unknown Location:

The blueness that took up her vision for so long faded, and the pinkette was finally able to feel solid ground below her feet. Collapsing on her hands and knees, Remi looked up and surveyed the room she found herself in. It was quite cold and foggy, with a large, dimly lit apparatus coming down in the center, shining on a blue light on what looked like a bath. On the other side of the chamber was a pair of softly glowing eyes...

...Which belonged to no one other than John, who had taken off his mask and was now running his hand through his jet black hair, trying to relax as he sat down. 'Honestly, this day is getting better and better,' John sarcastically thought to himself as he shook his head.

After a few moments of awkward silence, Remi stood back up and walked towards the bath, peering inside. She immediately jumped at the sight of a boy with dirty blonde hair and pointed ears, who looked no older than she did, suspended in the water. She grabbed his wrist, and put two fingers on top of it. His pulse was very light, but at least present.

"Don't bother waking the guy up," John voiced, "I already tried shaking him awake, but he just stayed like that," he gestured towards the still body of the unknown boy.

"Oh wow, look who decided to talk." Remi replied sarcastically as she gently placed the boy's arm back in its original spot. Much like her former raven-haired opponent, she wasn't in the happiest mood herself. "Why do you still have your ability activated? It's not like we're gonna fight again."

John glared at the pink-headed girl, like he wanted to burn a hole through her head. 'Not like it would too hard to do anyways,' he thought before replying, "You know damn well why. I'll lose Zeke's ability instantly."

Remi huffed. "I didn't realize you were so attached to Zeke that you must keep his ability."

"Oh shut up! Why couldn't you have gone straight to hell?!" John angrily shouted back as his eyes glowed brighter: he knew they shouldn't be throwing punches at each other here in this dusty old chamber, so shouting was definitely the next best thing.

Remi understood this too, as she angrily went around the water bath and (silently) marched over to the noirette. "You really need to learn to think before you speak, John! If you keep this up, you might end up pissing off the wrong person!"

"Oh, yeah, like you're gonna do anything about it. I'm surprised you even understand what I'm saying half the time." The pinkette felt very insulted, and had to stop herself from slapping this guy in front of her.

"What on Earth gave you the impression that I'm an idiot?!" Remi furiously retorted, fists clenched, "I don't even know why I'm taking anything that comes out your mouth seriously, you psychopath! You're more worried about starting a fight than worrying about where we are!"

John climbed to his feet and further closed the distance between the Queen and himself, eyes glimmering more than ever, before shouting back, "As far as I'm concerned, you're the one who believed there was nothing wrong with the school! That it was completely safe! So I don't think you're an idiot, I know you're an idiot!"

"Oh you absolute-" Remi was cut off by... running water? She looked towards the apparatus, and was too startled to say anything.

The water in the bath started to drain.

***

A/N: I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please remember that this story will be updated frequently, but it will not always be daily.