27. Confessions of a Shinobi

*MIYUKI’S POINT OF VIEW*

It’s been two days since I last spoke to Kakashi. Today I’d be meeting up with him for lunch. Spending all my time recharging, I tried my best not to worry about Katsu and Ryuu. Ryuu... Has it really been almost half a year?

*KAKASHI’S POINT OF VIEW*

“What’s this supposed to be?” I frowned. Shizune had just brought me a bouquet of white and purple flowers. “It’s for Miyuki. For your date.” My eyebrow twitched, “Date?” I sweat-dropped. I never said it's an official type of date. As far as she knows, which she does, it was a lunch between the best of friends. “DATE?” A voice from the other side of the door boomed. Next, the door was kicked open.

“Lady Tsunade. You’re back.” Shizune beamed. Tsunade walked in and nodded, “That’s right. Now what’s all this about a date?” she inquired. My sweat-drop grew larger, and I remained silent. “Lord Hokage is in love with Miyuki Haurutsuki of the Hidden Mist Village.” Shizune explained. “Haurutsuki? As in frozen alive Shinobi Haurutsuki?” Shizune nodded, “Yes. The two have quite a history. I asked Ino for help buying Kakashi flowers to give to her for their first date.” she said, a little too enthusiastically if you ask me.

“Oh-ho. And where will this date be?” Tsunade excitedly inquired. This is getting weird. It’s like I’m not even here while these two, old ladies gossip about me. “Ichiraku’s, Milady.” she answered. “What!? That’s not romantic at all! Kakashi, explain yourself. How dare you try to win over a woman with such cheap taste. You’re the Hokage!” Tsunade scolded. Suddenly I missed being invisible. “Speak up, Kakashi.” she demanded. “Alright, fine. She’s a friend. We aren’t dating. She has someone. Which is why this conversation is a waste of time.” I dismissively waved off. “But you plan on confessing your love for her today at lunch. Aren’t you, Lord Kakashi? That's what you told Shikamaru yesterday.” Shizune asked in slight concern. I huffed out a sigh. It was hopelessness, “Drop the ‘lord’ already.” I whined.

“You did the right thing, Shizune. Kakashi is clearly not a romantic. You should be taking those flowers to her right now.” Tsunade instructed. “What? Now? What do you mean now?” I asked in bafflement. “It was yesterday right? So, when did you make this plan with her?” she asked. “Uhm, two days ago?” I answered, not sure where this was going. She gave a sharp nod, “Then you should go give her the flowers to remind her of your lunch date in a few hours. Maybe even change the venue. It’s still early, she might be home. You should go now and make sure she doesn’t forget. Also, you can confirm if she feels the same way by testing it. If she accepts the flowers, surely she’ll accept the feelings that go along with them. Or if not, then at least she’ll begin to think of you the way you want her to.” she advised. “Is this an order or a friendly suggestion?” I sweat-dropped. She frowned, “That’s an order. Now take the flowers and get moving!” She stomped, nearly shaking the earth. I sighed in defeat and got up, “Fine.” I said, swiping the flowers Shizune handed me. “-I’ll go. But I’ll be back soon.” Tsunade nodded approvingly. I shook my head wishing I could do this tomorrow… Or never. Whichever came later.

I jumped from roof to roof, trying to approach this like a mission. ‘Today is the day. No turning back now. I’m going to lay it all on the line. It’s my duty as a Shinobi and the Hokage of this Village to be open and transparent to everyone.’ I finally stopped on the roof of her apartment and shook my head, “What am I saying? I should get out of here while I still-” My rambling to myself was interrupted by her voice. “Oh, Senichi. What brings you here?” She said as she opened the door. “Hmm?” I wondered and walked towards it.

I crouched down at the roof’s edge, careful not to be seen by her new visitor. It was that guy from the club. I felt a frown grow on my face as I watched on. He stood by the door with a low head, and I couldn’t make out Miyuki as she stood facing him by the door. “Hey, Miyuki… Uhm, I have something to say. And I’d really like you to hear me out.” He coyly explained. “Sure, what’s up?” she casually replied. It was as if she was oblivious to everything that had happened recently. And that made me uneasy. “Miyuki… That night at the Jazz Club. I saw you… And you were so beautiful, and happy. But it wasn’t with me. I was jealous. And I took that out on the Hokage.”