Questions and Memories

“What do you mean Greg?” I tried sounding normal as possible but my voice betrayed me, my knees got wobbly like a pack of instant noodles in hot water, my anxiety was kicking my butt real good.

I couldn’t wrap my head over those words I was to shaken by the information. “What I meant was that you have a mole in your private circle”; Greg sternly said “you need to find out who ASAP.”

There is a reason why heartbreak is called a heartbreak; it is because the pain is physical, not just emotional. It felt like her life was robbed just in front of her eyes, she was in denial she couldn’t comprehend what Greg was telling her. She kept insisting that Greg was mistaken but she knew better than everyone else in the world that he was rarely wrong.

The coffee in her mouth had an astringent taste now, she needed something much stronger than coffee but her legs couldn’t get up and her voice was lost. She stared into the walls her eyes had the cold disbelieving stint in them and a murderous look, her blood was boiling and though she couldn’t find the right words to say she had a mission find the freaking mole. Nobody betrays her trust.

Greg noticed she seemed lost in her thoughts, he quietly place a whiskey glass in front of her and filled some scotch, he knew it would calm her. It always does.

Camille eyed the amber liquid and the golden glow of the glass-like cubes. She poked them with her perfectly manicured nail to hear them jingle in the sunset silence. She watched, entranced, as they bounced back remaining submerged like mini icebergs. Wrapping her fingers around the glass, she felt her heat leach into the drink. The panacea of her life. She raised the glass to sip, feeling the keen burn of her tongue and throat. Yet now all she wanted was for her Saturday to end. The single malt was on her closed loop in her brain, she rested her head on her left hand, mesmerized by the liquid and wept like a child.

********************

Timothy O’Brian

Night fall was closing in quick, the black flies and mosquitoes were the curse of the summer months. The scenery became more and more beautiful, before he realized it he was on the banks of The Humber River, the ground was carpeted with wild flowers; a perfect blaze of color, the cold wind blew and he realized he didn’t have any warm clothing on. He had wandered far from home without him realizing that.

Memories that he had locked down deep within him since started flooding distracting his thoughts of how he ended up at the banks of Humber River.

I could hear my daughter’s young laugh, she was here holding my hand with her tiny hands dragging me along to her crazy plan of trying to catch fish. The fish line, her favorite fish line I got it for her sixth birthday; the way she adored that line and teaching her how to fish. Every Saturday afternoon we would have a fishing session and compete on who had the most catch. I remember laughing at her catching her first fish, on Valentine’s Day she was always my date. My wife, her mother we never had dates we were never on the same page ever since I cheated on her and brought my bastards home. She was the one who insisted I bring them home she couldn’t handle imagining that someone was raising her husband’s sons giving them just a quarter of the good life I would provide for them. She wasn’t able to conceive again after three miscarriages, Beatrix was a miracle yet my selfish soul repaid her with cheating over and over on her. My baby girls seemed so close to me yet so far away from me, I was dead to them.

My heart broke into a million pieces, I couldn’t block the memories at all. I deserve it all maybe. Karma was coming at me faster than I ever anticipated.

He wished his dementia had fully kicked in, maybe some of these beautiful moments he ever shared with his daughter could be a blur. It wasn’t easy for him no matter how had he hard he tried to convince himself he was strong, he broke down and cried. Nothing would fill up the emptiness he felt.

***************************

She didn’t have the power to do anything, it was late there was nothing much she could do. She just sat there helplessly listening to Greg, she wanted to get that rat and kill them.

Her thoughts ran wild, why would anyone help her father, why stab her like that? Was it a disgruntled employee? In any case she was recognized as one of the top best employers in America, with her vast wealth she was the second best paying employer. She always handled all her employees’ dissatisfactions amicably. Why was the universe fighting her now?

Greg was sad to see her like this but he had no option, friends look out for each other. She was his family the bond they shared was deeper than any covenant on earth. They had each other since the day the day he joined her in her quest to run from Canada and start a new life in a foreign land.

“Hey, Listen Cami, we will find this mole. I won’t rest till I find the person but we have to do this discreetly, we are not going to do anything rational so that the mole can’t be spooked. We can’t afford to let them know our next move, we act like everything is normal. You go on working from home I’ll go back home tomorrow but I’ll be scrutinizing everything. I promise you I’ll know how many times the dogs back nothing will pass me.” Greg said in an attempt to make me feel better.

“I will be fine Greg well eventually I will be but this really shook me. The house workers are supposed to report tomorrow at 2 PM before they arrive we will have the strategies in place and we find a way forward and clearly I have no energy to cook lets go out and have dinner. I am not starving you.” I managed to say on a more cheerful tone.

Great the badass Camille Collins was back in business and quick mental note Miss Collins no alcohol after dinner.