Her Mother

It was raining heavily.

The bright lights of the car illuminated the deserted road. The blood was diluted by the rain, and the poor woman on her knees was breathing heavily. Her fingers were digging unwillingly into the road, blood seeping through her fingernails, and her disheveled hair covered her face.

“Is she dead?” Timothy asked the man inside the car.

“Is there even a need to ask?” The man looked at the blood and the woman lying in the pool of blood through the light of the headlights, and a sly smile appeared on the corner of his mouth.

“Then let’s go quickly!” Although he had always wanted his wife to die a long time ago, he was afraid for the first time of his life, he was pleased that he had gone through his plan. The road was deserted, no cctv camera, her death would be ruled out as a hit and run no one would suspect it well only Beatrix but no one would believe her, she had to come home and bury her dear mother.

“Timothy, you are so brave.” The man told him interrupting his thoughts before turning on the car. “I got to admit that I didn’t think you would go on with the plan and even be present for the execution.” The man stepped on the gas pedal. Immediately after, the spinning tires mercilessly rolled over Mrs. O’Brian’s arm, they felt a little bump and Timothy couldn’t control his excitement, he was winning.

She screamed from the pain.

In the thunder, she felt the pain of her bones crashing. She didn’t want to die just like that. She had been a coward all her married life, how could she die in such a pathetic manner? She didn’t want her good for nothing husband to win this war. She had to survive.

She wanted to ask for help, but she could only vomit blood. The smell of blood in her mouth caused her to cough, which made it more painful for her body. She was determined to leave there and seek for help. She slowly dragged her legs she could stand up on her feet, she calculated how far she was from the main road it was like four hundred meters which seemed like four hundred kilometers for her considering her current condition. Camille was her main motivation to keep on moving, she had to contact her first and let her know of the storm that was coming her way.

She could see the main road, she was closer to help now. With another ear-piercing sound of brakes, a man squatted besides her with an umbrella to check on her before running back to the car and saying, “My Lady, it is Mrs. O’Brian, it seems like she is badly injured and might not make it.”

“Madison?” The lady inside the car narrowed her eyes and said fiercely, “Take her to the hospital. No matter the cost, save her!”

“Yes Ma’am!” The man said as he rushed to pick her up and put her in the car. It was a long ride to the hospital, she couldn’t focus on the voices in the car, she kept trying to figure out who knew her and helped her. The voices were slowly becoming distant she was slowly losing her consciousness.

She woke up in a white room, covered with plaster bandages and IV lines inserted on her left arm. The pain couldn’t let her recollect her thoughts, it was the worst pain she had undergone through even labor pain and the pain of having multiple miscarriages couldn’t match up with the pain she was in. she wanted to scream but her little voice in her head reminded her ribs were broken, screaming would only hurt her more, something she never ever wanted to subject to her again.

“You are awake finally, I was worried you wouldn’t survive on the OR table considering the amount of blood you had lost and the number of broken bones you got,” the lady continued to talk. She hadn’t seen her from where her head was buried next to the hospital bed. “Ummh, I’m sorry I didn’t notice you were there Emily, what in the world are you doing her my dear little sister?” she asked without thinking why Emily was there.

“I found you on the roadside, Madi someone ran over you and left you to die, why are humans so twisted and evil?” She starts crying. Madison offers her a faint smile and try telling her she is really okay. She is grateful her baby sister found heron that road or she could have died from hypothermia before her broken bones killed her. “Did you tell timothy you found me?”

“No, Madison I didn’t contact your crazy husband to come and see you. You know him and I can’t coexist in the same room, we will kill each other before the first the first cock crow in the morning.”

“Em? I need your help I need to contact someone in the States that will spring up to action fast either way revenge is a dish best served cold.” She asked Emily secretly praying that Emily doesn’t start asking questions on how someone who was miles away would spring into action. “Okay Madison im only doing this because you always had my back since we were kids, this is a way to thank you for standing up for me even when the rest of the world was laughing at me.”

“Thank you Emily, I owe you one.” She quickly tell her as she goes and grabs Emily’s phone and just hoping that her latest burner phone was still active. She tried twice not active, she really needed to get a hold of her fast. Time was not on her side.

She absentmindedly scrolled Emily’s contact list hoping to find a number that would be the only hope for Camille.

********************

Camille and Greg were busy going through their strategy of finding a mole when they were distracted by Greg’s phone vibration.

“It’s your aunt Emily,” Greg casually told her while wondering what the ever evasive Emily Collins had called her. “Take it, she clearly wants to talk to you that’s why she personally called your number.”

“Hello Greg, Its Camille’s mum, I’m trying to get hold of her but I can’t get her would you please tell her to call me immediately? I have some troubling news concerning her father.”

“I am with her, Mum let me give her the phone.” Greg handed the phone to Camille and Camille put the loud speaker on, if its news concerning her estranged father, Greg had to hear it.

“Yes mum what’s going on?”

“Honey I’m in the hospital, I’m safe now but I don’t know for how long but your father is willing to do anything to get your attention. He left me to die after they hit me with a car and made it look like a hit and run. I am sure he thinks I’m dead, if it wasn’t for your aunt who found me on the main road trying to look for help I would be dead.”

Shocked to even say anything, her tear glands seemed to run out of tears, she was consumed with rage, she wanted to destroy her father now more than ever, and her eyes were like witches fireballs. “How badly are you hurt and can you travel? I would feel much safer if you were here with me so that I can effectively go against Timothy.”

“The doctors are releasing me from hospital in a few days they say that it is best I stay here for monitoring and you don’t have to worry, I got Emily here she will help me.”

“Mum you don’t understand, you should know that man better than anyone else. He will stop at nothing he will look for you till he has the evidence that you are dead. I know it is dangerous to try move you from there but I have to get protection services for you, and mum please don’t kill me I know you will hate who I’m giving this important task to but it is the only way I can ensure your safety till you come here.”