CAPITOLO TREDICI| Take My Breath

"To learn which questions are unanswerable , and not to answer them: this skill is most needful in times of stress and darkness." - Ursula K. Le Guin

New York, New York

Organized crime is a fuzzy concept that can often contradict itself

Organized crime is a fuzzy concept that can often contradict itself. It's no longer just a group of men engaging in illicit and immoral activities. It's the government, the politics, the media... all of it is corrupt.

So, as the world evolves—correction, modernizes—The Cosentino Family has to do the same in order to prosper.

I will not misappropriate Darwin's quote and tell you that it's survival of the fittest.

On one hand, modesty isn't an option.

Founded over a century ago by my Great-grandfather, I inherited the family's business. The company is now a multibillion-dollar conglomerate specializing in aerospace, arms, defense, and information security, with many other subsidiaries.

To build off of his father's work, my grandfather founded Apex: currently the third-largest privately-owned security firm in the world. I had appointed Derek Riverè as the acting chief executive officer.

After my father took over, he invested in real estate, brought abandoned warehouses, empty lots, and bankrupt hotels, opening Vitale hotels and resorts. There is a multitude of hotels and resorts owned by us worldwide. Throughout the states, in almost every popular city there is a club or restaurant that has ties to us. Mikel Russo oversees it all, thriving best when indulging in club-life activities and hospitality.

When it was my turn to take over, Diego Arenas and I Co-founded Innova. One of the largest tech companies.

Copper Pratt is a Named partner at one of the top law firms in New York, Hossack, Pratt & Klein.

This should've been enough but nothing is ever that simple.

So, on the other hand—the much bloodier hand—I will loosely quote the beheaded cop, Callum because we "control one of the biggest distributions of illegal narcotics in North America." My guess is, the organized crime unit has yet to piece together that we also distribute weapons which is why he hadn't mentioned it.

I only care about preserving our legacy.

And when you are in control of so many things, it truly is fascinating what people will do because they think you cannot see it.

My enemies didn't take it seriously when it was said if you want to take a shot at the king, you better not miss.

Before Jack disappeared, he warned of a looming threat. If nothing else, Jack knows how to erase himself. But If I know him as well as I think I do then once he learns what I've been up to he'll come out of the shadows.