CAPITOLO VENTIQUATTRO| Don't Blame Me (1)

"Sometimes an Angel is found in the dark." - K.Webster

LOS ANGELES
OCTOBER

There was a pregnant pause

The scent of arousal with a hint of lingering lust and tension pervaded the Cadillac Escalade limo as I stared into sage eyes, while I processed everything Luciano said.

"Someone in my family is plotting to kill me," he admitted. Casting his eyes downward to our entwined hands, his thumb drew small circles on my palm. "I need you to help me figure out who it is."

It sounded like some medieval shit: A family member planning to kill another to usurp the crown. But this world that I stepped into when I chose to be with him is more medieval than fairytale. So if Luca suspected betrayal from someone in his family then it's more than plausible— he just needed proof.

Which explained why he needed me, an unbiased eye to observe those closest to him, search for inconsistencies in stories, discern envy and resentment, aversion and distress, cowardice and egocentrics.

I know that the goal will have grave ramifications. But that is not why I felt a tightness inside my chest. No, I'm somehow bruised by all that he didn't say.

Because either this is a test or an indirect way of telling me that he trusts me.

No other words are uttered and I surprisingly don't need them to get an answer. The look in his eyes reveals all the truth. He's trusting me to help him and he isn't sure how I will react to what he wants.

Something happened for the first time. Once I realized what he wanted, I could see the hesitation in his eyes and it did something to me.

He expected judgment and disgust; I offered compassion and cooperation.

Bated breath, we lingered in each other's hold for a few more moments. It wasn't even close to a minute; it felt like we were stuck for years.

I imagine that Luca already has formed a list in his head. Names prioritized and sorted into groups of those who could get in close proximity to him or his business; anyone with the resources to take him on; as well as the motivation to execute a hostile takeover.

It's stupid but my gaze doubled-back from his face to the reflective glass. That's all it takes for me to realize that he wants me to investigate the first person on the list. And by the small smirk stretching his plumb lips, he knows I've pieced it together.

What happened next wasn't some big covert and suspenseful operation.

We fixed ourselves up as best we could in the confined space then exited the Escalade.

I managed to keep my curiosity at bay as we walked into Parisi—a boutique— even though my mind was wondering what the hell Luca has in common with a high-end fashion franchise for women?