CAPITOLO SEDICI| K.

"He had the awkward tenderness of someone who has never been loved before and is forced to improvise." - Isabel Allende

SEPTEMBER
NEW YORK, NEW YORK

SEPTEMBER NEW YORK, NEW YORK

Time does not bring relief.

I know this.

And yet with each passing second, I wait, I hope, that in the next, it will finally be the moment I feel it less.

Because even though I left, I also returned.

In the dead of night, not a sound is made while I inched towards the bed. Forgive me, I whispered over the sleeping woman, who hurts because of me. For what we've shared and for all that we cannot be. The tip of my finger gently touched her tear-stain cheek as I did and she shivered, then called out a name. It was the only thing that reminded me why I was doing this, why I had to leave her.

It's funny. For so long, I've yearned and suffered, but now that I finally have the chance to get it all back, I chose not to.

I walk away.

And I do not have the time nor space to dwell on it despite the fact that the following five days have been... uneventful.

Presently, I sit in a concealed area inside of Lol's accompanied by Cooper and Diego, awaiting food. This compartment of the diner was meant to be modernized speakeasy, but shit happens.

No, people die.

Although the restaurant is close to the penthouse, just a few blocks away from APO, it took me a long time to come here. It shouldn't've, but I've been avoiding Viviana Parker, the current owner.

"Casa di prima is officially yours," Cooper says, grabbing my attention. "The hamlet is built on the remains of a medieval castle." He slides a tablet towards me with images of the vineyard. "Before Sebastian starts the renovations, he wants to know if you'd like to preserve the original architect."

"No." I briefly glanced down and slid through the images of stone walls, the stone-paved courtyard leading away to olive groves and grape-bearing vines. "If it isn't required to keep it, scrap it and start anew."

"Got it." Cooper composes an email once he takes the tablet back. "So what did I miss?" He glances at Diego, studying him before asking, "And what the hell are you working on?"

Diego actually smiled at him. "A mega rat."

Cooper looked disgusted and I licked my lower lip to prevent myself from laughing. "You want to try that again?'

"Ya know, a rat." Diego is toying with him and Cooper is aware of it. Pushing his shoulder, Cooper reaches for Diego's laptop who slapped his hands away. "Don't you dare." The playfulness is fading out his voice. "It's a Remote Access Trojan. A rat. It's able to take control of any system or network."