CAPITOLO DICIASSETTE| No Peace

" The most dangerous heart disease: strong memory." - Nizar Qabbani

SEPTEMBER
New York, New York

The doctrine of double effect

It's a principle that suggests one act can cause two effects— an indented good one and an unintended bad one— and it's okay.

In order for the act to be considered a double effect, the situation needs four conditions. The act-in-itself cannot be morally wrong or intrinsically evil; The bad effect cannot cause the good effect.; The agent cannot intend the bad effect.; The bad effect cannot outweigh the good effect.

This is all you need to justify hurting someone.

This is what Luciano is using to justify what's happening between us.

I just don't know why. To be honest, I never would've  have realized it before. You see, when you're having hot sweaty sex almost everyday and receiving multiple earth-shattering orgasms, the pleasure that you receive from it can cause blinders. Your brain is just high, in a euphoric state, it doesn't notice all of the little things that are actually important.

And this is where Luca messed up at; Avoiding me, denying me attention and affection has turned the blinders off. Ironically, I think it's because this situation were in is one of the few times that he actually has the ability of feeling guilty.

I'm unsure how I feel about it.

But I know it isn't enough. So ever since our little show near the lounge a few days ago, I've been allowing him to ignore me. If I want to know what he's hiding, I can't directly get it from him, I have to exploit those closest to him and create situations where they give me information they don't even realize helps me piece the puzzle together.

Sadly, Gracella wasn't much help. No matter how expressive and kind she is, Grace has her brother's paranoia.

However, Kodi unintentionally slipped up, telling me why Kenya visits the penthouse every day for a short period of time. Two words.

Exchanging files.

Because Luciano doesn't come home anymore, he has Kenya pickup and drop off things into his office. Of course his office is locked, so that means intercept her in passing and try to get the rfid-card for the room.

Which is why, I'm extra careful right now, walking into the kitchen. I've watched her for a couple days now, and she has the same pattern. Kenya stays for ten minutes during the exchange, six of those are spent in the kitchen filling her to-go coffee mug. It's early in the morning so I can understand the need for coffee. More so, because it was the perfect opportunity.

Without a sound, I crept up to her and touched her shoulder. "Hey, what are you doing here?" I asked, making sure to add a little shock to my tone.

As soon as I touched her she jumped, screamed and dropped the files in her hand. "Oh crap, crap, crap." She's flustered. Embarrassed that I was able to sneak up on her, embarrassed that she spilled coffee on her shirt and I kinda feel bad watching her scan the countertop for something to wipe herself down.