Chapter Thirteen - Warning From The Detective

"Black Mask, eh?" mused Alfred.

Bruce was sitting at a table in Wayne Manor, facing Alfred. He had come back to the Manor after leaving the abandoned house, taken off his suit, and sat down to get something to eat.

"That's what he called himself," Bruce said. "And it wasn't just him either, though he looked like he was the leader. He had some followers, all wearing masks.

"That is very peculiar, sir," Alfred said. "What are you going to do about it?"

Bruce thought about this. "I want to try and figure out who's behind that mask. If I know who he is, I can find out what he wants. Then I'll put a stop to it."

"Good thinking," said Alfred. "I'm—"

Alfred paused as the doorbell rung, and then walked off to see who it was. A couple seconds later, Jim Gordon walked into the room.

"Ah," Bruce welcomed, "the newbie cop in town."

Gordon grimaced, like he didn't approve of this title. "I do have a name, you know."

"Joe Gordo?"

"Jim Gordon," corrected Gordon.

"We'll see which one catches on faster," Bruce said. "Anyway, what can I do for you detective? I was sort of in the middle of my sushi."

Gordon shifted his feet uncomfortably. "Yes, I'm sorry to come unannounced. I thought you'd like to hear this in person."

"Hear what?" asked Bruce. "New details on the case?"

"Not exactly," replied Gordon. "We ran into a new threat... well at least I think he's new. He calls himself Black Mask. He took me and Bullock hostage in some abandoned house."

"Ah," said Bruce. He knew all this, of course, but Gordon didn't know he knew. That was the tricky part of a secret identity. It had to be a secret. "So, what does this have to do with me?"

"Right. While Black Mask was talking to us, he requested only one thing. That we bring him Bruce Wayne. He said he had some... unfinished business with you. Does that ring any bells?"

Bruce frowned. He hadn't heard about that. What would this Black Mask person want with him.

"No," Bruce said. "I have no idea who he could be."

"Just keep an open mind, then. I just wanted to warn you personally that someone was out for you," Gordon said. "I could try to get you into Witness Protection, if that's—"

"No," Bruce said, "that's not necessary. I'm fine, I can protect myself. Besides, I have an even set up here at Wayne Manor tomorrow. Can't miss that."

Gordon narrowed his eyes. "You might want to cancel that. I don't think it's a good idea to place an even larger target on you. You should keep a low profile for awhile."

"Like I said, I'm fine," Bruce repeated. "Besides, Alfred'll have my back the whole time, won't you?"

"Yes, Master Bruce," answered Alfred from the other room. "Absolutely."

"See? I'll be fine."

Gordon opened his mouth to protest, then closed it. Maybe he knew that he wasn't going to be able to change Bruce's mind.

"Fine," said the detective. "But just be careful. We don't know what lengths this guy will go to."

"I'll be careful," Bruce promised. "I might even hire a better security detail for the event."

"Good idea," Gordon said. "Anyway, I'll leave you to your sushi."

Alfred came in and led Gordon out the door of Wayne Manor. When he came back in, he was frowning.

"Maybe you should let the GCPD handle this one, Master Bruce," he said.

"Are you kidding?" asked Bruce through bites of sushi. "No way. They'll be onto another case within the hour. This one will just get buried in all the other cases."

Alfred didn't argue this point, but he didn't look happy about it. "Why don't you just donate to the police, sir, instead of becoming one yourself."

"I know how corrupt that department is," Bruce replied. "They would waste whatever donations they were given. No, I have to do this myself."

"So where are you going to start?"

"Well, the detective just told me that this Black Mask person wanted me dead," Bruce explained, "so I figure I'll start there."