Chapter 10

Despite everything that was happening, Yugi's thoughts were only on Yami. Yugi had never felt this way about anyone before. It felt like his heart was being ripped out of his chest but rapidly throbbing with love at the same time.

The two had left the hospital only an hour after they had arrived there in a hurry. Yami had drove them home. Yugi asked him to stay the night with an innocent intent, but quickly realized the circumstances and had become as red as a tomato. Yami didn't mind, finding the blushing boy quite adorable.

In fact, he even accepted the request.

"Sure," Yami had said, faking nonchalance as he parked near the game shop. He kept glancing over at Yugi, fascinated by all the new expressions Yugi was showing.

The night was shrouded by a heavy mist, the fog creating a eerie and depressed scene. Yugi truthfully enjoyed wet and mysterious days like these. In fact, winter and all things cold was his favorite season. He loved staying by a fire after playing in the snow, staying inside and watching marathons of Christmastime classics, and all that holly jolly mushy stuff.

"I hate these types of days. I prefer warm, sunny days in the summer. Relaxing in the pool and sipping some lemonade, the sun beating on my back..." Yami confessed, his voice trailing off as he unbuckled his seatbelt. Yugi quickly went to undo his own but Yami leaned over unbuckling it before Yugi had the chance. Yugi felt a small blush make it's way up his cheeks and mumbled a shy thanks.

The two then strode inside, Yami walking slower than usual since Yugi's legs were shorter and required more energy of the boy to keep up.

"I'm going to wait upstairs," Yami said as he took of his shoes and laid them on the doormat. "I don't think your Grandpa wants to see me..."

Yugi had figured as much. When they had left earlier, Yugi had gotten a text from Grandpa saying he was concerned that Yugi left without saying anything. He was understanding after the two of them explained the situation, but it still bothered Yami that he had managed to make the man upset. Yugi had reassured him that Grandpa wasn't that too hung up on it, and probably was just bothered Yugi wasn't there to do his bidding.

Due to this misguided guilty conscience, Yami snuck inside while Yugi went to find a slightly grumpy Grandpa on the couch.

"Yugi! Thank goodness! I need you to close the blinds, and I want a sandwich! ASAP!" Grandpa said, his arms flailing.

Where did he even learn that word?

"Where did you learn that word, Grandpa?" Yugi said, closing the blinds as per the man's request. He started towards the pantry to start making a sandwhich just the way Grandpa liked it.

"Something called "Tumbler" it was very jolly and funny. Hashtag YOLO!"

Yugi mentally cringed.

"Very smooth Grandpa," he said as he put the finishing touches on the sandwhich and plated it.

Yugi handed the plate to Grandpa, turning around to start heading up the stairs to his room.

"Why thank you, Yugi. Now can y-"

Yugi interrupted. "Grandpa I have a LOT of homework."

Yugi had lied. He had never said such a ridiculous lie in his entire life. But, despite the small prick of guilt that came with it, he was excited to go see Yami. Yami, who was in his house right at that moment. In his very room, perhaps even his own bed!

"Okay Yugi. Do your best!"

When it came to school, Grandpa Muto would prioritize it above all else. He would do anything to place education first. Yugi had always worked hard in school after the time he had gotten a poor grade on a math test and Grandpa had taken an extra job to get him a math tutor. Yugi had felt terrible for weeks.

Yugi trotted upstairs and threw open the door to find Yami sitting crossed legged on the floor with his eyes closed. He was emitting a quiet but steady humming sound.

"Uh Yami..are you alright...?"

He nodded. "Meditating."

Yugi nodded in an 'Oh' way before remembering that Yami wasn't able to see him.

"You can join me if you like."

"Okay." Yugi sat down and mimicked the pose of Yami.

"Ohhhmmeee..." He chanted sa Yugi tried not to burst into giggles at the strangeness of the of situation.

"OHHHMMMMMAAEE!"

Yugu couldn't hold i. He burst out laughing, rolling on the floor. Yami was so good at bringing Yugi into a happy mood already, so it wasn't too surprising that it didn't take much to make the smitten boy laugh.

Yami started laughing too. In fact, if someone had seen the two boys they probably would have described them as two wackos on crack on the floor.

Yugi sighed, his giggles tampering down but a bright smile still in his cheeks.

Then he checked the clock and cursed.

"Yugi! Such language!" Yami said putting his hand over his mouth in a shocked way, teasing him.

"It's seven, Yami," Yugi informed him. Yami let out a curse himself.

"My my, what naughty language you have," Yugi said while giving Yami a smirk. The other boy's eyes seemed to widen and sharpen with an indescribable emotion, but it quickly went away. The two of them stood up.

"Well, I suppose it's getting late and I have to go," Yami said reluctantly. They both procrastinated their way to the front door. Upon stepping outside of Yugi's bedroom, they could hear Grandpa in the background yelling "Charlie bit his finger! I have to twitter this!!"

"Bye Yugi," Yami said in a rush as if he wanted to skip a sentimental farewell. He started to turn his body towards the direction of his car, but Yugi stopped him by grabbing his arm. Yami, almost as if wanting this to happen, whirled to look right at him.

"Yugi...?"

Yugi leaned forward. Before they both knew it, they were kissing. Yami pushed Yugi against the wall of the game shop without any protest. Yugi felt himself blushing madly but he also could hear Yami's heartbeat as the taller boy intertwined their hands. It was wonderful, it was fire and ice all at once. It lacked passion but held so much love, a kiss of goodbye but one that promised a hello again.

Yugi broke away first, his breathing a bit shaky. Yami touched his chin and pulled his head up to make sure the smaller boy was looking into his eyes.

"Goodnight aibou."

Yugi blinked in shock, a bit startled but secretly pleased.

Did he just call me his partner?

"Goodnight, Yami," Yugi finally squeezed out in reply. He watched as the taller boy walked away, blending into the night. Yugi was sad to see him go, but knew they would see each other again soon.

Goodnight Yami, he repeated inside his head, cracking a smile before heading in for the night.
|...|
A/N: Sorry for the short chapter! WiFi is spotty but I try <3
And thank you for the people that comment you make my day :3 Also next chapter is the finale!