Abhimanyu's Diary (Part I): A Walk Down Memory Lane

Note of Terms and Characters:

Mahamahim Bhishma - he was related to both the Kauravas and Pandavas through his half-brother Vichitravirya. He considered them his grandchildren. 'Mahamahim' can be used to refer to individuals with higher rank or excellency (i.e., Your or His Excellency)

Devi - another way to address a goddess. Also used to address women respectfully in the olden times.

"Aahh!!" screamed the youngest Princess of the Kuru family, as she leaped on to the armchair before her to avoid the fuzzy rat that scurried past her feet.

It was another beautiful afternoon in Hastinapura, and all of the royal family members were taking a peaceful nap after a fulfilling lunch meal. Yet, one member, who decided to use this time to explore through unsorted articles placed in one of the castle's many storerooms.

"I really hope there aren't any more of these creepy crawlies in here," she mumbled to herself, as she slowly lowered herself back onto the dusty floor.

Mitra had expected that she would have to maneuver her way around a messy and cluttered room filled with boxes of unused items and dust. But the last thing she expected was the darn rat that whizzed right past her feet. Nothing scared her more than these beastly creatures. Taking in a deep breath and praying to not stumble across any more of its family members, Mitra continued to feel her way through the rows of boxes in the windowless room, illuminated by a single torch.

While shuffling through a series of items in one of the old boxes, Mitra stumbled upon an old oil painting of a handsome young lad, who looked to be within fifteen years of age. A beautiful smile formed on her face, while looking closely at the sharp eyes and the Dhanush tilaka (bow mark) on his forehead. Mitra recognized her young father. Arjun Baba. She let her hand travel over the portrait as it gently caressed the face of the youthful and extremely good looking Gandivadhari.

Is this the man who she had cringed away from that day on the battlefield? Mitra smiled gently as she let herself be sucked back to the memories of Arjuna from the days on the battlefield. Near the Kaurava tent side, on his way to seek Mahamahim Bhishma's blessings. That was the first time Mitra laid eyes on Pandava Prince Arjuna.

She had just left her father's tent to take a stroll along the riverside, which was just past the tent of Bhishma on the outskirts of the camp. Her mother rarely let her away from the house, and definitely nowhere near the battlefield. Yet, her constant pleading to be with her father for a couple of days, had finally pushed Vrushali into giving in to her dear daughter's wish. On her way around Bhishma's tent, Mitra had walked with her eyes downcast, attempting her best to avoid the eyes of passersby. She did not feel comfortable with any of the Kauravas, except Uncle Duryodhana. Completely absorbed in her thoughts of shielding herself from unnecessary stares, Mitra failed to see the warrior who was approaching the tent before her. As her forehead slammed against a rock-hard abdomen, Mitra lost her balance and tightly shut her eyes, bracing herself to hit the hard ground.

"I'm so sorry, Putri. I did not see you coming in front of me. Are you okay?"

Mitra's eyes snapped open to meet the gaze of a mighty warrior staring down at her with concern, and what was that – a tinge of curiosity? She closely studied his features – the sharp eyes and nose, and the distinctive Dhanush tilaka he sported on his forehead. Oh my – this was the third Pandava, and father's archrival, Prince Arjuna. She vaguely registered his strong arm wrapped around her petite form and her tiny hand fisting his angavastra, as her mind became clouded with fear.