3: Lucy and Annelise

"Um, sir? Are you all right?" Lucy spoke up after the faun had gone silent for a moment

"Um, sir? Are you all right?" Lucy spoke up after the faun had gone silent for a moment. He shook himself off quickly before nodding.

"Right. Please, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tumnus." He bowed his head slightly to the girl. Her face split into a grin and she shot her hand out in front of her.

"Pleased to meet you, Mr. Tumnus! I'm Lucy Pevensie." Mr. Tumnus simply stared at the small hand in front of him, unsure of what to do. Lucy must have caught on to his uncretain gaze, because she dropped it slightly and leaned in, saying quietly, "Oh, you shake it." The faun took the pale hand in front of him and shook it left to right, smiling confusedly. He dropped her hand with a laugh, but then turned serious as he looked around her.

"Lucy, what are you doing here? How did you get here?" He asked. The little girl dropped her smile, looking around as though she had yet to ask that question herself.

"Well, I was hiding in the wardrobe in the spare room, and..." She began. Mr. Tumnus cut her off.

"Spare Oom? Is that in Narnia?" He asked. He was a faun of much knowledge, and he had never heard of this strange place. Lucy furrowed her eyebrows.

"Narnia? What's that?" Tumnus laughed for a moment, not fulling understanding Lucy's joke but finding the daftness in it humorous nonetheless. He stopped once he noticed the blank expression Lucy wore.

"Oh, you don't know? Well, dear girl, you're in it!" He shifted his packages in his arms to point out to a vast land. Lucy gawked at it. "Everything from the lamppost, all the way to Castle Cair Paravel on the Eastern Ocean, every stick and stone you see, every icicle...is Narnia."

"This is an awfully big wardrobe." Lucy spoke, almost repeating her thoughts from earlier.

"War Drobe? Um, oh well. Lucy Pevensie, from the shining city of War Drobe in the wonderous land of Spare Oom, how would it be if you came and had tea with me?" The faun offered his arm to the girl. It seemed like she was going to take it rather quickly, but a thought crossed her mind and she stopped herself.

"Well, thank you very much, but I... I probably should be getting back." She looked towards where she entered, hoping she could find her way to the wardrobe again.

"Yes, but it's just around the corner! And there'll be a glorious fire with toast and cakes! And-and, perhaps, we'll even break into the sardines." His voice was urgent, and almost begging. Lucy did not notice this, and still looked weary.

"I don't know.." The small girl mumbled. Mr. Tumnus fought to catch her gaze and give her a soft smile.

"Come on. It's not every day that I get to make a new friend." Is what came out of his mouth, but in his mind he was begging. Anne needs to see this, so that I am not wrong. He thought. The girl finally broke out a smile and nodded softly, picking up a round brown package.