4: Lucy's Lies

"Well, we obviously cannot! She's my family, Tumnus

"Well, we obviously cannot! She's my family, Tumnus. And turning her in would be turning me in as well. You wouldn't do that, would you?" The faun was silent as Annelise whispered into the darkened air. She had wormed her way out from under Lucy, and the sleeping girl now rested on the small couch while her sister and the faun spoke in hushed voices. It had been hours since Lucy had fallen asleep, and the faun was very conflicted in what to do. He knew that if he left Lucy go, it would risk his life greatly. But he's been living in Narnia with this same risk over his head for fourteen years! Tumnus did not have a chance to reply, due to the sleeping girl pushing herself off the couch and yawning, stretching her arms and looking out the window.

"Oh, I should go..." She said as she noticed the dark gray sky. Her eyes searched the room, landing on Annelise and Tumnus huddled together on the stairs. They both looked gravely worried.

"Are you two all right?" She spoke, bringing herself from the couch and standing in front of them. Tears slipped down Tumnus's face as he shook his head.

"It's too late for that now. I'm such a terrible faun." Annelise sat back, shocked. Lucy shook her head and pulled a small handkerchief from her pocket, dabbing the cold cheeks of the faun.

"Oh, no. You're the nicest faun I've ever met." She said. Tumnus let out a dry laugh.

"Then I'm afraid you've had a very poor sampling." Lucy turned to Annelise in concern at his words. A couple of tears streamed down Annelise's cheeks as well, and Lucy turned to her, handing her the handkerchief to wipe her eyes with as well. Annelise smiled gratefully and put her face in her hands, holding back a weep.

"You can't have done anything that bad." Lucy turned back to the faun. His tears froze, and he looked up to Lucy with darkened eyes.

"It's not something I have done, Lucy Pevensie. It's something I am doing." Lucy stepped back with furrowed eyebrows.

"What are you doing?" She was afraid to hear the answer, but she asked anyway.

"I'm kidnapping you." Lucy stepped backwards even further with a gasp, suddenly terrfied of her new friend. Her mother had always warned Lucy about kinappings, but the girl had thought differently of the faun. She looked up to Annelise with heartbroken eyes. The blonde clutched the white cloth of Lucy's handkerchief and shook her head, seemingly reading Lucy's thoughts.

"No no, Lu. It's not by choice. You see, the White Witch, she orders that e-every human should be instantly reported to her," Annelise's voice trembled as she spoke to her little sister. "That's why I've had to live in secret, for this long. But with your arrival, the trees most likely saw, and she may already know of your appearance. Tumnus could be killed." The last part came out in a whisper, and although the words helped Lucy understand the reason behind her own kidnapping, she still felt hurt.

"But Mr. Tumnus, you wouldn't..." Her voice pleaded. Tumnus's head snapped up to hers, and his eyes lightened, getting a determined look in them. He stood shakily and nodded his head.