17: Susan and Annelise

As Lucy and Susan scoured the full garden of the Witch, their hearts sunk

As Lucy and Susan scoured the full garden of the Witch, their hearts sunk. Solid stone statues littered every inch, their eyes lifeless and full of pain. Lucy gasped as she reached a corner of the courtyard. There stood Tumnus, with his hands outstretched in fear and his scarf frozen behind him. Susan pulled her sister into her side as she sobbed. Aslan, noticing the sadness in the air, approached the girls. He smiled at Lucy softly before turning to Tumnus and letting out a warm breath. Within seconds, the stone began to melt away. What sounded like the end of a cry escaped Tumnus's lips, and he nearly collapsed to the floor. Luckily, Lucy ran forward and threw herself under his shoulder, supporting the faun. Susan stepped forward and gripped his shoulders and helped him to stand.

"Susan, this is Mr-" Lucy began to introduce the two. Susan smiled and shook her head.

"Mr. Tumnus!" She cried, throwing herself into the faun's arms. Tumnus smiled and held the two girls tightly, before turning around.

"My Anne.." He whispered, searching the stones. His eyes landed on the girl frozen not two feet from where he stood, her mouth contorted into pain as his was. Lucy gasped and began to sob again, reaching out for the stone hand. Aslan breathed on her as well, and she began to drop. She fell to her knees before the group. Lucy and Tumnus quickly grabbed her arms, pulling her to her feet. She was embraced tightly before she could speak.

"Are you all right?" Lucy asked. The girl just nodded. Susan stepped forward, gently pulling Lucy back and taking her place in front of the blonde girl that was just about the same height as her.

"You're.. Susan?" The blonde said breathlessly. Tears pricked Susan's eyes as she nodded and flung her arms around the girl, holding her tightly. Annelise sighed with a smile and returned the embrace, a few tears escaping her own eyes.

"Hello sister." Susan said. Both of the girls cried a little harder, and held each other tightly. Soon enough, Aslan returned to them.

"We are ready, children. We must go help your brothers." Annelise and Susan nodded, pulling away from each other. Lucy drew her dagger bravely and stepped forward.

"We're ready, sir." She said. Annelise smiled lovingly at the girl, and Aslan's chuckled.

"Not quite, young one. I do believe you have something that belongs to your sister?" He asked. Lucy gasped with wide eyes and quickly sheathed her dagger, reaching to the back of her belt and pulling out a small silver pipe she had taken from Peter the day before.

"Your present! From Father Christmas." She smiled, holding the weapon out to the blonde. She took it in awe, and as soon as her hand gripped the metal tightly, it shot out in length. She held it out further in shock as it extended fully. She now held a beautiful metal bow staff, with one end sharpened into a point. She swung it around gracefully, being careful of her family around her. Annelise nodded and set one end of the bow staff on the ground next to her feet.

"Now we're ready." She said.