A message to her Mother

Thank you.

Thank you for everything you gave to me, and technically still do. Thank you for making me a better person through your kindness and creativity and cooking and care. 

Thank you for allowing me into your home and treating me as your equal. Thank you for allowing me to love and be loved in return by your daughter. 

Thank you for not judging me when we had ups and downs, and understanding when mistakes were made. 

Thank you for showing me kindness on days when your daughter might not have, through no fault of her own.

Thank you for checking on me, and caring for me as if I was your own.

I miss your daughter a lot these days... some days unbearably so. And your family, the environment, the dinners, the outings, the cleaning, the cooking, and baking, the napping, the sorting and the gardening. It was all so wonderful and I wish it could have continued... and a part of me wishes it was still continuing, and a part of me also wishes it will continue, someday, maybe soon.

But I just wanted to say, you may not have been my mum, but you're one of the best mums in the world, regardless of anything. 

Any arguments, disagreements, anger, ill will or tears. You are amazing, so thank you.

Deepest love and respect,
Your Ex Son in Law