Chapter 2: Guests

"Yeah. I'm alright." he says,

"You cold?" I ask him sitting next to him.

"A little." he says felling his own face, as I sat down next to him.

"Here." I put his jacket on his shoulders and rubbed his shoulders. We sat on my bed and we were talking when Johnny's face went white.

"Pony..." He says quietly "I have to go back before my parents kill me for running away."

"No!" I screamed "Johnnycake I will not allow you to go home where you will be beaten. I'll talk to Darry and Soda and maybe you can live with us."

"But what if my parents come to hurt you. I don't won't to put you in danger." He says louder.

"Johnny, we will fight for you." I say strongly.

"Pony..." He starts but I cut him off with a kiss on the cheek close to his mouth. "Pony..." I back off and look at him, his eyes looked so soft and happy for once. "I don't want you to get hurt."

"As Dally says 'Get tough like me, and you don't get hurt, watch out for yourself and nothing can touch you, man.'" I say acting like Dally.

"Pony, you look out for others, and t-u-f-f not t-o-u-g-h. That's what I like about you." He said to me.

"HEY PONY, JOHNNY, MIGHT WANNA SEE THIS!" I hear Soda call from the living room. When we come out on the news was talking about us. How bad Jonny was, interviews with everyone, me being the main hero, Dally being pretty banged up. Then a new live story. They found out what Johnny's parents have done to him and are searching for them. Johnny went a funny shade of white as he thought of everything. I watched him then he was wobbling I catch him and hold him up for a minute until I snapped him out of it.

"Johnny, you don't look to hot, you's okay?" Two-bit says standing up felling Johnny's head.

"Yeah." he says not so pleasing to the rest of us. He was remembering, remembering a big man with a knife slashing him to death.

"You sure? You look a little rough." Soda says in a dear sweat voice. He just nods and stands there quiet.

THAT NIGHT

I talked to Soda and Darry, Soda said 'yes' immediately but Darry. I was talking him through and he finally said "fine." I told Johnny and he lit up and hugged Soda and Darry.

"Thank you." he said louder than usual and he was almost in tears of joy. Then he came back and stood on his toes to reach my hight and he kissed me square on the lips. "Thank... you."

LATER THAT NIGHT

Everyone was still at my house, Soda offered to sleep on the floor because he wanted Johnny to be comfortable next to me on the bed. Darry was in his arm chair, Steve went on the couch, Dally and Two-bit slept on the floor.

I woke up in the night to Johnnycake watching me sleep. "How you sleeping?Did you get any sleep yet?" I ask Johnny,

"A little." Johnny said to me

"What's the matter?" I ask pushing back his hair.

"Remembering all the wrong things, things I wanna forget."

"Then don't remember the bad moments remember good ones like this." I kiss him on his soft and gentle lips, we kissed for 2 minutes. Then we backed away and we were immediately embarrassed and blushing. "I'm Sorry, Johnny" I whisper quietly.

"No Pony, I'm sorry." Johnny says quiet, sweet little Johnny. We went back to sleep when Johnny wakes up shivering.

"Hey little buddy you cold?" I look over at him and the sun was glinting on him. I put the blanket tight around him. I look at the clock it was 6:00 I get up and start cooking breakfast for all 7 of us, Johnny, Soda, Darry, Dally, Two-bit, Steve, and myself. I simply cooked bacon and pancakes but when all 7 of us are here that's about 28 pancakes. 4 for each person because we are all pigs, not to mention about 3 pounds of bacon. When I was just about done I looked out into the living room, Steve was reading the paper as well as Dally, and Darry, Two-bit was smoking, and Soda just woke up.

"Morning Ponyboy." Soda says looking at me with weary eyes. I smile,

"Morning guys."

"Morning, where's Johnnycake?" Two-bit asks as I look the bedroom. I stare at it for a while before I say something.

"He's sleeping but it's his birthday today. He told me a few weeks after we were friends. You wanna do what we do to everyone on their birthday?"