Chapter 3:

"Yeah Two-bit says devilishly.

"Don't scare Johnnycake though go easy he's going through a lot. Please." I plead grabbing a plate stacking food on it for Johnny.

"We wouldn't scare the poor kido." Dally said messing up my hair, I put candles in the pancakes and lit them up. We all went into my room, nicely, we all went in speaking in a nice voice so we wouldn't scare him to death.

"Johnny, Johnnycake." I do a whisper yell at him. He woke up to all of us smiling, with his plate. If it was anyone else we would have been jumping on them, but not to Johnny. We all started to sing happy birthday to Johnny as he sat up and smile.

"You remembered?"

"Yeah, why'd we forget your birthday?" I ask smiling at him, everyone started to leave the room and make plates for themselves they knew more than to eat without him. He leaned toward the pancakes and blew the candles out. "You should shower your hair looks dirty. Go on we won't start the party without you." I smile at him, I put the pancakes and bacon on my desk, I rubbed his head.

"Yeah I should." he answers and goes into the bathroom. I run to the living room,

"If ya'll didn't get something for Johnny you might wanna go he's in the shower. GO." I say to all of them they run out the door and now it's just me and Johnny. This was weird and awkward just Johnny and me, not to mention he's in the shower. I don't know what the rest of the gang is getting him, they know nothing 'bout Johnny.

--> time --> skip -->

The gang came back as Johnny was shutting off the water Dally, Darry, and Steve was pretending they were reading the paper the whole time. Soda was folding a blanket and Two-bit was admiring his switch blade. I was in the room cleaning up a bit when Johnny came in. All he was wearing, a towel around his waste, he was so sexy just wearing the towel. "Pony we ran into a problem, I got no clothes." I toss him a smaller pair of jeans, t-shirt, and boxers. "Thanks!" He says with a huge smile I wink and leave the room and set the table and the plates. The birthday boy came out in my clothes and looked good in my clothes. We sat down and were talking about random subjects, when we were done all the food was eaten. We all went into the living room, me, Johnny, and Soda on the couch. Darry in his a chair any the rest sat on chairs or stools. "Hey Johnny we all got you a present for today because it's your birthday." Everyone put their present on the floor by his feet, I got up and I kept my present behind the couch so I got it out. He opens the presents and he got,

A blue switch from Two-bit
A orange lighter from Soda
A medical kit from Darry
A deck of cards from Steve
A giant pack of chocolate from Dally

My present a painting of a sunset with "stay gold" on it, also southern gentleman because he like them a lot. It almost brought him to tears.

"Thank you all for this. Why are you all so kind to me y'all let me stay here like your taking me in, and now presents?"

"Well we are your friends and that's what friends do." Dally says. We all smile at him and he smiles back. "why we sitting 'round here for let go do something." We all hop out the door doing flips and stuff. Then I looked back on the night of the rumble when we went to Johnny. When we were there and he told everyone he was okay and getting out of there that night and told me to stay gold before we left. Then we ran past the playground where me and Johnny were jumped by Socs and he killed one. Next I had a flashback when we were walking home from the movies with Cherry and Marcia. Then a flash back of the night when Johnny was beat to death in the empty lot by Socs. I blow past these memories as they became what I've done and I'm going to move ahead now. Johnny noticed all these things too and shook his head, smiled, and moved on. I stopped at a store at bought Juicy Fruit for the gang and after we all were eating a piece, then Two-bit tried to smoke and chew gum at the same time. It didn't turn out too well it got stuck on the cigarette the he almost ate both before he spit it out and I thew a new piece of gum. Then Soda blew bubbles and tried to teach us all how to I ended up almost spitting mine out like Johnny. What Soda doesn't know is for his birthday tomorrow I bought him a few packs of gum. So now Johnny was 17, I'm only 14, 15 soon and crushing on a man, that was 3 years older, well 2 in a few months. What am I even thinking? I thought.